Unfortunately fingerprint has stopped working error galaxy 6
Tpr653

I lost access to password safe application. It continued to have an error on start up. I tried to reinstall and tried other apps to no avail, each of them through errors during  start up. I noticed one error was unfortunately fingerprint has stopped. I tried to open fingerprint settings and received same error. Now it throw's the fingerprint error during calls. Does anyone have advice about this, similar problem, or hopefully a solution? Marshmallow update prior to error. Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
Re: Unfortunately fingerprint has stopped working error galaxy 6
Jujyfrut
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same issue is now happening to me! Just started this morning! I have fingerprint unlock on my Samsung Galaxy S6 (updated a few weeks ago to Marshmallow), and I’ve been locking and unlocking fine up until this morning! I now get the error message, “The fingerprint sensor is not responding. Try again later.” After clicking OK, I get the same pop up box with the same message and have to click OK again and enter my PIN. I’ve of course powered my phone off and restarted it. I cannot turn off the fingerprints option; it gives yet another pop up error box saying, “Attention An error has occurred with the fingerprint sensor. If this message appears repeatedly, restart your phone.” (UPDATE: I was now able to turn off the fingerprint phone unlock option BUT ANOTHER pop up message keeps popping up now saying: “Unable to verify finger The fingerprint sensor is not responding. Try again later.” This message pops up every time I go to change the Screen Lock Type.

I called Verizon Tech Help and the rep had me of course restart my phone (didn’t do anything).

Reset all settings (didn’t work, but kind of “messed up” my phone! all apps that were organized nicely in their folders are all out (folders are gone). all my widgets on my phone’s page are gone as well…)

Start up in safe mode (didn’t do anything).

Go to app manager and go to Show System Apps, scroll down to Fingerprint, Storage, clear cache, clear data, and force stop (didn’t do anything)

So of course last resort is to do the beloved Factory Data Reset. I need to back up all my stuff to my laptop before I even do that (I might not even do that). This sucks….

Leo111
Enthusiast - Level 1

Have this exact same problem after the update to avoid accidental FDR. I hope that there's a better solution than having to do what the update was created to avoid!

0 Likes
chetter7

I had the same problem.  I tried to access the fingerprint option, but it immediately told me it could not recognize the fingerprint and to try back in 15 minutes.  In a flash of insight, I thoroughly cleaned the home button with a cotton swab and rubbing alcohol.  Success!!!  I am so happy, this issue has been plaguing me for a long time.  Thankfully I had the lock screen set to "swipe" when it first happened.  I hope this can help others!

0 Likes