USB Connection to Desktop
grichard

I have had my S4 for a couple of weeks now.  Just after getting it I connected it to my desktop computer (Windows XP, not an Apple) via USB and selected MTP on the phone.  At that time I connected to the phone and was able to see folders on the phone.  Since that time the phone or the desk top will not connect via USB.  I get nothing on the phone or desktop other than the phone saying it is charging.  What is the problem??

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: USB Connection to Desktop
ky_bjc
Enthusiast - Level 2

I also had a similar issue with the USB connection.  Seems a little finicky for my tastes.  I noticed that some computers need to download a driver located on the phone and some do not. I also noticed that it takes the phone a very long time to connect and bring up the driver download screen.  Several times I gave up prematurely.  So, be patient with it.  If you don't get luck with the drivers try to download the Samsung program.  It is called samsung kies and I believe the website is simply :

www.samsung.com/kies

This program reminds me of Itunes and will sync your phone with your computer.  I haven't used it much but at the very least it should download the correct drivers and might get you connected through windows.

Good Luck

View solution in original post

0 Likes
ky_bjc
Enthusiast - Level 2

I also had a similar issue with the USB connection.  Seems a little finicky for my tastes.  I noticed that some computers need to download a driver located on the phone and some do not. I also noticed that it takes the phone a very long time to connect and bring up the driver download screen.  Several times I gave up prematurely.  So, be patient with it.  If you don't get luck with the drivers try to download the Samsung program.  It is called samsung kies and I believe the website is simply :

www.samsung.com/kies

This program reminds me of Itunes and will sync your phone with your computer.  I haven't used it much but at the very least it should download the correct drivers and might get you connected through windows.

Good Luck

0 Likes
grichard

ky_bjc - thank you very much for your response.  Wasn't the solution I needed, but got me to thinking.  Turned out to be the cable I was using.  Now that I am using a Samsung cable I can consistently connect.  Although as you stated the connection is not consistent.  That is, I connect and a short time later the connection goes away.  I unplug the USB cable and plug it back in and I connect again. Hopefully they will do something about this in future updates.

0 Likes