Two separate questions about the new s3 update
jakeskee
Enthusiast - Level 1

Okay, so I just recently updated my s3 and so far I love everything about it, very nice job. Just two things bother me about it (not sure if the second one has to do with the update or not)

Firstly, when you receive a text message it pops up on your lock screen with about the first sentence of the message. Now that's a big problem for me, I enjoy my privacy, so if I'm texting someone, get up and leave me phone wherever I am at the time, someone could pick up my phone and instantly see who I'm talking to and what about without any type of security (I have the pin lock). If there is a way to disable it I cannot find it anywhere, maybe I'm not looking hard enough, any help would be appreciated.

Secondly, when sent a picture message instead of the message itself from the person sending it I get a message from "Me" or my own phone number saying "You've got a new PIX or FLIX message! To see it, visit *insert the vzw site here*. When going to the site it asks me to sign up and sync my phone to the cloud, which I do not want at all. Is this something with my service or the new update? It's quite infuriating to be honest. If either of these is true, is there a way to disable this feature and continue receiving pictures/video messages "normally"? PS: Picture/Video messaging worked all normal before I updated.

Thank you so much for any insight or help you can provide.

Re: Two separate questions about the new s3 update
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Regarding your first question about text notifications, see this:

Re: Incoming texts turn on the screen, how do I turn that off?

As far as the picture text question ... there's been a lot of posts/threads about this issue since yesterday afternoon.  I'm thinking there's a bug in Verizon's text system, but haven't seen anything official about it yet.  Picture messages should come through as texts as long as you have a cellular data connection (MMS won't send/receive over wi-fi).

0 Likes
MySIII
Contributor - Level 2

jakeskee wrote:

Okay, so I just recently updated my s3 and so far I love everything about it, very nice job. Just two things bother me about it (not sure if the second one has to do with the update or not)

Firstly, when you receive a text message it pops up on your lock screen with about the first sentence of the message. Now that's a big problem for me, I enjoy my privacy, so if I'm texting someone, get up and leave me phone wherever I am at the time, someone could pick up my phone and instantly see who I'm talking to and what about without any type of security (I have the pin lock). If there is a way to disable it I cannot find it anywhere, maybe I'm not looking hard enough, any help would be appreciated.

Thank you so much for any insight or help you can provide.

If you are using the stock Text messaging App. Open the app (while on the screen that shows all your people you have text, (not an individual person) click on your menu icon, the go to Settings> scroll down to >Notification settings>Notifications  The box should be unchecked, or if it is checked there is a "Preview message" option that you can uncheck. That will take it off of the lock screen. Hth.

***Sorry, did not see the link that Tikibar posted ref the first question. If you leave the "Notifications" box checked, you can customize the rest of your notifications...and just uncheck the "Preview message" box.

tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Guess it depends on how much the OP wants to 'hide'.     If they follow your instructions about unchecking the Preview Message box, they'll still get a pop-up on their lock screen that they have messages, but the details won't display.  If they want the screen to stay completely off when texts arrive, then they need to check out the alternative in that link in the earlier post.  I should have mentioned the 'uncheck Preview Message' option, but obviously forgot ... glad you posted it! 

MySIII
Contributor - Level 2

tikibar1 wrote:

Guess it depends on how much the OP wants to 'hide'   If they follow your instructions about unchecking the Preview Message box, they'll still get a pop-up on their lock screen that they have messages, but the details won't display.  If they want the screen to stay completely off when texts arrive, then they need to check out the alternative in that link in the earlier post.  I should have mentioned the 'uncheck Preview Message' option, but obviously forgot ... glad you posted it! 

Right...Hehe.  😉

I use a third party App, Go SMS Pro and is fully customizable. I have the stock App turned off.

0 Likes
jakeskee
Enthusiast - Level 1

OP has some stuff that needs to be hidden(; but as the the guy who mention the preview box, that worked to a degree haha. I guess I just really liked how the old way was setup where if you wanted to know texted you, you had to unlock your phone and pull down your status bar. I wish they would add a way to dismiss the message once it's there. Instead of unlocking your phone and clearing your status bar. Thanks both of your for your help.

0 Likes
MySIII
Contributor - Level 2

jakeskee wrote:

OP has some stuff that needs to be hidden(; but as the the guy who mention the preview box, that worked to a degree haha. I guess I just really liked how the old way was setup where if you wanted to know texted you, you had to unlock your phone and pull down your status bar. I wish they would add a way to dismiss the message once it's there. Instead of unlocking your phone and clearing your status bar. Thanks both of your for your help.

Hehe...Me too.   Lol.   If you try a third party messaging App, like GoSMS Pro, or others, you can turn off the stock messaging App and have total control of your setting and notifications with the 3rd party App, individual test notifications, Etc

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Jakeskee - I am glad you are generally enjoying the update so let's make sure it is running at optimal performance! Thank you to the community for the steps regarding the Messaging notifications. In regards to your Picture Messaging feature it appears the phone is not recognizing the provisioning from the network. Does this happen with messages from many different contacts? Is it occuring while connected to the mobile network and WiFi? Please try removing your SIM card for 10 seconds and reinsert it as this will allow the device to refresh with the network. Please keep me updated on the status as I would be happy to offer additional account support if needed.

Thank you,

YaleK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWsupport

0 Likes