Transferring Files is a Pain, WHY?
ltolman1
Contributor - Level 1

I cant tell you the amount of PAIN I have been thru trying to transfer files from Desktop to PC today; OMG I swear I want to throw this Samsung Device against the wall!

Shall we start before i got a samsung device? Sure why not

Motorola Droid Razr, take my Charging USB cable, put at end of Device, hook USB to computer...OMGOSH lookie I have full access to all files from Phone and Card via the MY COMPUTER; the cell phone acted as an external storage

May 23rd 2013...at some point after owning the device for the first time I hooked up my Cell Phone to my computer via the USB cable and I believe I had full access, YAY happy day

I tried accessing it again but it failed

So same day I decided to install the software that the Installer is asking me...took a good 30+ minutes to be fully installed, sheesh! But I think it worked

After using it, I decided to un install the software I just installed; thinking nahhhhh dont need it right?

Few months down the road I decided to hook up cell phone again; still didnt connect so I think at this point I was "referred" to downloading a USB Device Driver for my Samsung, so I downloaded it but installation......OMGOSH it took 30minutes + THIRTY MINUTES TO INSTALL  After rebooting PC I think i was fine

Today I decided to hook it up again and let me tell you......oh mannnnnnn

First off I did NOT un install the driver software from the last time

I called Verizon tech support and ya know what the guy told me? Seeing as he owned a Note 2 he said that Samsung dont deal with Plug and Play,....you have to download software to transfer files such as KIES....keep in mind I believe I had talked to Verizon reps twice before and neither said I HAD TO HAVE KIES!!  So I asked if there was any other way...phone call got disconnected

I downloaded KIES3 off of Samsungs website Kies 3 because I have 4.3 OS

But after installation and hooking up my USB to my cell phone it wouldnt detect it; nada

LOL I'm seriously forgetting what happened next....seriously.....

Something along the lines that I ended up re downloading the USB drivers software again...this timed I counted the time....37 minutes....THIRTY SEVEN MINUTES for the USB Driver software to install

I launched KIES 3 and still no go

Samsung Agent tells me to un install KIES 3, reboot PC and re install KIES 3 and reboot PC and that I dont need a USB driver for it

So I did what Agent said...and it worked!  Actually after it launched, it installed some USB driver...then Windows Update said I needed a new driver, so after downloading the new driver it took a good 20minutes + before i got my desktop again....uggghhhh

And after re hooking my Cell Phone Up after Windows Update and after I ate dinner I had the same problem AGAIN!!!

I thought...OMGosh am I having to un install, reboot re install reboot PC every time?

I finally got it going because as I clicked Music I just didnt wait long enough for it to load all the files which was part of my problem.  But again I disconnected it and tried reconnecting because the files really didnt transfer over and it still couldnt find device.

Agent says...switch USB ports...so I did and VOILA it worked.  So I kept the USB plugged into that port and just unhooked cell phone after transferring over the files I needed....played with cell phone and re hooked phone up one last time to transfer over the remaining files...and guess what??

YEP didnt detect

Switched USB Ports....didnt detect

Switched USB Ports...finally detected.

And after all my .WMA file converting to .MP3 and I copied the last file over....I am done!!!

But I ask the community......WHY IS THIS SUCH A PAIN??!?!

Windows Vista Ultimate Service Pack 2, 64 BIT OS

Samsung Galaxy S4, 4.3 OS

0 Likes
Re: Transferring Files is a Pain, WHY?
Not applicable

Please take this in the humor I am going to convey.

1- Your operating system is the worst out there being its Windows Vista.

2- Do you have broadband? Or Dial up? it should not average 30 minutes to get a driver update.

3- You never should have removed the first driver downloaded. It confuses your system.

4- Switching USB ports normally fixes the connection issues as you found out.

Now my question is "Is there a MicroSD card in the device? If there is the simple thing would be to remove it place it into the card reader attachment and hook to your computer that way. If a reader attachment was not provided with the SD card you can buy one for cheap. This is good information for the future.

Via your post I will assume its really your computer that is at fault with Vista and not the cell phone.

Good Luck

ltolman1
Contributor - Level 1

1- Your operating system is the worst out there being its Windows Vista.

LOL yeah I know my OS is a bit outdated. When I do upgrade though it will be Windows 7

2- Do you have broadband? Or Dial up? it should not average 30 minutes to get a driver update.

Hmm. I have DSL downloading the 30mb file was easy...it was the installation that took forever. I double clicked the .exe, I chose next and next or what not and the progress portion was the part that took 37 minutes; not the downloading. And then when I looked under the Program Files under Control Panel (add/remove) I see that its just a simple 47mb file hehe

3- You never should have removed the first driver downloaded. It confuses your system.

So yeah I guess I am hoping someone can help me remove all entries of this perhaps start from scratch? I'm a pretty computer savy guy. I'm familiar with MSCONFIG, and REGEDIT.  So aside from using Revo Un Installer to do a deep clean, perhaps theres other things Im forgetting so it can be a clean slate. Heres the weird thing...why have I been directed to Samsungs Website to download a driver and then the KIES 3 installs some driver and Windows Update tells me to download/install a driver for the same USB thing that apparently was published a year ago?

4- Switching USB ports normally fixes the connection issues as you found out.

LOL True...but heres another thing...so I believe my Motherboard has 4 USB Ports...I own a PC Monitor that ironically enough has 2 ports on the side.....so I try Monitor first...then went to the back.  I believe from my above post...I had to switch ports up to 3 times....Tried Monitor forever...didnt work...Agent says try a different port so I tried one in the back of my Desktop...kept it plugged in then when I needed it again; it didnt work....I switched with another port in the back...no dice...another port in the back...no dice...went back to the Monitor and it worked.

Oh and as far as the Micro SD card? Perhaps that might be the issue?  But I'm kinda cheap at the moment so perhaps I'd like to get feedback.  I'm sure I have probably had this SD card for well over 2-3yrs.  I had this SD even from my previous phone of a Motorola Droid Razr...so yeah sounds about right.  So maybe I need a new card? Perhaps one formatted by Samsung's Device itself?

And I do have a card reader...I just have to find it.

So prior to buying a new SD card I definitely will take SD card out and use my adapter FIRST and then will convey results....just not for a while LOL

I usually do it on my days off from work and my next day off is next Friday  Smiley Happy

0 Likes
Not applicable

Ha ha I will await your progress report.

Another thing is to do a system roll back to a time before you did the driver update and kies install. That also may be a solution for you. Additionally use only the main usb ports not ones on the monitor they usually don't have enough power to work correctly. I purchased a couple of Belkin Powered USB devices which have four connections each, they also should work.

There may be nothing wrong with your SD Card, you just need a SDCard reader which works better than hooking via usb from the phone to the computer.

Good Luck

0 Likes
wazz

I had the same frustration of trying to transfer files in both directions between my G-S4 and my Desktop PC. Then, I added a little USB Bluetooth device to my Desktop PC, and now it's a simple task to transfer files using Bluetooth. No fuss, no need to add more software to my G-S4, no need to deal with Kies. It just works! If you don't have Bluetooth built into your Laptop or Desktop PC, get a USB Bluetooth device, you can get a good one for less than $20.

0 Likes
ltolman1
Contributor - Level 1

USB Bluetooth?  Dont suppose you know the speed?  While yes I may not remember or timed my latest session I was actually transferring over 407 Files at 3.87 gigs of information (music)

I figured WiFi may not have been the best option here LOL which is why I wanted to just drag and drop...kinda like moving files from Portable Hard Drive (USB Passport) to my Internal Hard Drive (Computer...Drive C)

But thanks. Like I said..I definitely will try out the card reader and see what happens

0 Likes