Touchwhiz is unresponsive
Bruce27u01
Contributor - Level 1

I have a brand new Samsung Galaxy S8+ (less than two months old) running the latest version of Android 7.0. Here is my problem:

When the screen/phone is lock and I unlock the phone/screen I am unable to use the phone; the phone does not respond to any of the icons that I touch on the phone; it appears that Touchwhiz is unresponsive.  To temporary resolve the issue I have to lock the phone by pressing the power button to lock the phone. Then when I unlock the phone I am now able to access the icons, etc and use the phone. This is not an acceptable way for a $900 device that is less than three months old to work.

When I first unlock my phone I expect to use it IMMEDIATELY! I should not have to lock the phone manually then unlock it just to use the phone. In addition, pressing the power button that often will eventually wear out the power button there-by rendering the phone useless.

I have not done a master reset because I suspect if I do and then spend days re-configuring the device only to temporarily solve the issue then VZW might as send me a new device.

Regards

0 Likes
Re: Touchwhiz is unresponsive
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We certainly want to see you be able to enjoy every aspect of your device from the very beginning! Has this been occurring since you got the phone or after installing a new app/update?

Verizon_Customer_Support

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the  Correct Answer  button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Bruce27u01
Contributor - Level 1

It started to happen about three weeks ago.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Bruce27u01, help is here as you deserve a properly working phone. I know how scary it can be to do a master reset so I would like to take a different approach to see if that is the route that we need to take. Please place the device in safe mode. This will temporarily disable all 3rd party applications so that we can test the software on the device. Upon placing the device in safe mode, please attempt to test the phone to see if it unlocks for you. Click the link provided for the steps for safe mode. http://spr.ly/65838U0iH

NatashaA_vzw

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Bruce27u01
Contributor - Level 1

The problem seems to go away when the phone is booted in Safe Mode. But that is not a solution to the issue; it should not be happening at all. What is the warranty on the device? Can I get it exchanged for a new device as this device is less than three months old.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for taking those steps, Bruce27u01.  We definitely want you to have a working solution to your issues and I do have some great news.  If the issue goes away when placing your device into Safe Mode, that tells us that there is a 3rd party app causing your device issues and this does not appear to be hardware related.  I do have a few recommendations that you can try.  First make sure that your device software along with your apps are up to date on your device.  All it takes is one bad app to cause phone issues. You can also try uninstalling apps one by one to see if you have luck in finding the culprit app. If everything is updated and you still experience the issue, at that point I would recommend completing a factory data reset on your device: http://vz.to/2p2b0kf.  The most important step after completing a factory data reset is that you do not restore your apps when setting up the device.  If you restore the apps from a backup, then most likely the culprit app will be re-downloaded and the issue will reappear.  I recommend installing one app at a time and testing in between apps because this may help you in locating the culprit app. 

AdamB_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Bruce27u01
Contributor - Level 1

If I have to do a factory reset on a $900 phone that is less than three months old then I want to exchange my current phone for a new one.  What is the warranty replacement policy to get a new phone.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We definitely wan you to have a working device, Bruce27u01.  I understand not wanting to complete a factory data reset on your device.  From the information that you have provided it does not appear to be a hardware related issue that you are experiencing and it does look like the issue has been isolated as app related because the device worked fine in Safe Mode.  The most important part of this is to find the culprit app that is causing your device issues because even if you get a different device and if the culprit app is reloaded, then the issue will most likely re-appear.  There are millions of apps in the Google Play store that can be downloaded onto these devices, but it does not mean that each app is designed for every single device or that it will work great on every device.  There are many other things that can cause a device to misbehave that are software related or that can impact the operating system.  In this type of situation, I usually try to find the culprit app before completing a factory data reset because I have my phone customized a certain way.  If I am not able to isolate the culprit app, then the last step is to complete a factory data reset.  The most important part is not reloading apps after the reset because that can bring the problematic app back. 

AdamB_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Bruce27u01
Contributor - Level 1

I found out the problem. Samsung Pay was causing the issue and I have removed my credit card from Samsung Pay and now the issue does not occur. This is a serious problem that Samsung needs to address; makes no sense why their app will cause my phone to lock-up.

Android Pay seems to work better,

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

The warranty is one year unless you have insurance. It would be replaced with a certified like new device. It's only replaced as a DOA with a brand new phone within the first two weeks. You could also activate a different phone and send your phone to the manufacturer and they fix it. Truth be told, your phone is now used. Glad you figured out the culprit. Setting up a device from scratch can be a pain unless you just upgraded th n you don't necessarily mind doing it.

0 Likes