Re: Touchscreen unresponsive for a few seconds
reberiii
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for your continued support Verizon Wireless Customer Support, I appreciate it. I will perform another hard reset of the device now, not allow for Automatic restore this time, and then come back here and report how things work out.

0 Likes
SmilesofBleu
Enthusiast - Level 2

The phone worked fine until AFTER the update. That's my point. The Verizon associate in the store used Smart Switch to transfer all of my current apps and settings in the store so everything worked fine right then and there and it was only two days later (after the update) that the touchscreen lagging started. Once the update was completed the lagging started immediately. Something is wrong with the update and rebooting it is not going to change the that because it's it's on there for good until the next one which I hope is a better one.

reberiii
Enthusiast - Level 2

Checking in - it's been two days since my last factory reset as requested here, and things are working wonderfully. The phone is actually more responsive now than it's ever been for me prior, even though this is the fourth hard reset I've performed. I'm not willing to call this resolved, as I had relief with the prior hard resets as well, but I'm hopeful and will continue to report back. Verizon Wireless Customer Support

A handful of notes:

1) this was the first factory reset that I performed since I obtained the phone where I did NOT automatically restore from Google, and chose to use the phone as a new device. That does mean that I've had to manually choose to go to the Play Store to get each app I really need, but it also means that not EVERY app I've had for the last few devices is automatically installed (along with some settings, I'm sure).

2) Apps that I have not installed since the hard reset:

a) Lux Lite - I used this since my M9 days as I feel Lollipop does a poor job of automatic brightness. I'm not 100% thrilled with the S6's handling of it either, but I can do without this app. I'm weary of this app as it does use/interfere with screen drawing (it's prevented my Google Wallet from sending funds with a message "Cannot process as another app is currently drawing on the screen) and that seems like a plausible touchscreen lag culprit to me.

b) I have not setup Samsung Health yet. I'm worried about that app's battery chewing and potentially processor hogging tendencies.

c) I've re-installed Samsung Pay, but I have Easy Pay disabled across the board. This means that the swipe up from screen off is disabled, same as the swiping up from the bottom of lock and home screens. Just thinking that this has to use extra resources and is connected to the touchscreen even with screen off.

3) The Twitter app (new re-design) still suffers from a scroll lag, but the Instagram app's scroll lag/janky scrolling seems much better after this hard reset.

4) Oh, and this shouldn't matter, but I'll mention it anyway -- I didn't perform this hard reset in Android. Each of the previous hard resets were done by going to the option in settings -- this time, I hard/factory reset the device via a bootloader option that I think I got to by restarting the device and holding the power and volume down button. To me, this shouldn't matter, but maybe it flushes an extra cache or two that the regular method does not.

SmilesofBleu I would strongly suggest trying a hard reset without automatic restore of apps or whatever method was used by the Verizon store rep for you. I'm guessing that backing up information might be a problem if you had the Verizon rep handle this, but if you can manage to make sure that you info is safe first, I would factory reset the device, and then when setup asks, I would choose to use this as a "New Device" rather than restore. Then, I would only reinstall apps as you absolutely need them. I know your phone was working fine before an update, but in reality not all apps in the Play Store work perfectly across all versions of Android and previous data caches can easily cause lag.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

reberiii We're excited to hear that the phone is working again. Hard resets can be time consuming but they often are very helpful. We appreciate you following up with us. Enjoy your day. Also, here is a great link for  troubleshooting  steps for your device and many other VZW phones: http://vz.to/12TLCsR

_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi SmilesofBleu, It is important to have a working device and I want to help get this issue resolved with your phone lagging. How many apps were running on your device at the time it was lagging? Here's a link to our app that can run diagnostics on your device help determine any issues that might be causing it http://vz.to/1joCw5c and post back with more details.
EdW_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
reberiii
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello again -- as promised, I'm reporting back again as it's now been a week since the hard reset w/o automatic restore. The phone is still working wonderfully, which is fantastic. I still haven't installed any of the apps that I previously mentioned, and I've avoided using any app that I believe would "draw on the screen."  This is the longest I've gone with this device ever without encountering the touchscreen lag issue.

Makes me wonder if it's an Android setting/option/cache item that I've been bringing from one device to another for years, and finally just got rid of. It's also important to note that I did switch from an M9 to the S6, so maybe there was an app or cache that didn't have a problem with Lollipop on the M9, but does so with the S6.

So, bottom line, hard reset w/o automatic restore and avoiding apps that draw on the screen has fixed the problem from me. Thanks to everyone that helped. Verizon Wireless Customer Support

0 Likes