Re: The latest update seems to be affecting mobile data.
marine1371
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the response. Once I disabled the new Caller ID app, all was good. Thanks again.

0 Likes
modrum

I am experiencing the same problems as stated above. The odd thing is that my phone, which is 9 months old, is experiencing the problems, but my wife's phone, which is less than a month old, is not. I vaguely remember an article back a few months ago about some of the earlier S3's experiencing ROM problems that Samsung became aware of and replaced the phones immediately. Wonder if this stems from those problems also.

0 Likes
hotsaucecommittee
Enthusiast - Level 2

I share all these issues with 3g/4g and battery drain. I tried the above potential solutions in disabling Caller ID app as well as verifying the correct mobile network etc and restarted and it has not helped at all. Still showing both wifi and mobile data at same time, both with little to no signal and connections running SO SLOW. Notifications are showing up hours after the fact. This is so annoying! I wish Verizon would just admit there's a problem and communicate with us how it will be resolved. I refuse to take a refurbished phone to replace my new one when clearly this is a software update issue.

0 Likes
cedjunior

Are you that naive to think that Verizon doesn't "test" and approve a firmware upgrade before they send it out OTA on THEIR NETWORK?  You act as if Samsung is just sending this out on their own.  Do you think it was Samsung's idea to add the "Caller Name ID" that conveniently charges $2.99/mo directly to your VZW account automatically after the 15 day trial is over? Is it some strange coincidence that Blocking Mode was missing from VZW Galaxy devices when it's a built in feature on other carriers, and now after a work around was figured out the feature was completely removed?  Did Samsung do this on their own, without any knowledge from Verizon?

0 Likes
jason2502

I am also Having all the same issues as everyone else too many to detail. I would hope with a issue this big they would fix or send out old firmware we can revert too and make these phones at least work!!!!  With there data plans and all the other issues Verizon is having  t-Mobile seems like a better bet !

0 Likes
Not applicable

Don't remember saying I was not aware that Verizon tests the updates before they send them out.

I am quite aware that Samsung sends to verizon and then they play around with it before they send it ota as an update.

This update was not a requirement fir the phone. it was a feature update from Samsung.

Of course folks are never satisfied with what they have and they want this update or that update and when a user gets that Update its a risk. There should be a disclaimer stating you install it at your own peril.

Again my belief is "If is isn't broke,don't fix it"

This was a totally voluntary update, no one forced you to get it. Not like the Jelly Bean OS update. Verizon has to wait for a patch from Samsung I am sure Verizon is not going to make a feature patch on their own.

I strongly believe that cell phone makers should pysh out their own updates and upgrades then the customers can complain to the manufacturer of the devices and not the service providers.

0 Likes
AdamZe
Enthusiast - Level 3

Wouldn't it be nice if Verizon and Samsung put out something like this...

On behalf of Samsung and Verizon, we first want to offer our deepest apologies for the data issues that many GS3 owners are now having after updating to 4.1.2.  We certainly did not intend for this update to negatively affect any of your phones.  It is always our intention to send out updates that bring a better experience to you, the user.

That said, we are fully aware that the 4.1.2 update was not up to the standards that you the user, or us, Verizon and Samsung expect.  We have instructed our programmers to work around the clock on identifying why this update has affected data reception and what can be done to fix it.

We surely wish we could say exactly when a fix will be available, but right now we can't.  We can assure you that we will be working diligently to fix this issue as quickly as possible. We will also keep you updated with weekly press releases so you will know exactly where we are in the process. 

Us at Verizon also wish to apologize for adding an application to your phones that would cost you money without alerting you to this change in advance or giving you an easy way to opt out.

As a measure of good faith, we will be giving all GS3 users one month of unlimited data once we have a fix in place.

We are very appreciative that your business has made us at Verizon the leading carrier in the U.S. and us at Samsung becoming the number one cell phone maker.  We don't take your loyalty lightly and will work as hard as possible to regain your trust.

If the carriers/manufacturers would just admit the problem and promise to work as hard as they can to fix it while keeping the customer updated, even if there's nothing to say, it would go a long way towards reducing customer anger.  In the 1980's when Tylenol was turning up laced with cyanide, they didn't say they're not aware of these problems and we'll look into it.  They didn't offer new Tylenol.  They admitted there was a problem, they pulled the product and made it right.  In turn, they were immediately forgiven by the public and embraced.  Why can't Verizon and Samsung do the same?

PaleFlyer
Enthusiast - Level 2

What OP, and many others (including me!) are saying is that this update is crap, and one of the FIXES promised with this update is better DATA.  I understand it is for hotspot, but in theory... data is data.  And the comment about people wanting the updates that others have?  I have been in release candidate test groups before, and frequently reported bugs get "published", and as soon as the phone is no longer the new "Flagship/hot shot" device, most carriers still support it. Verizon puts no real effort into it.  they only kept me as a customer for the last few years because they had 4G where i live, and decent service, plus i have an unlimited grandfathered plan.  With Sprint never being dumb with data "caps" and t-mo getting smart, i think it may be time to move to one of them, as they have decent service, and sprint now has LTE in my area. plus they get updates on their phones FASTER, and usually less buggy. (i am my friends Tech Support...)

0 Likes
PaleFlyer
Enthusiast - Level 2

after messing with Multi-Window and a benchmarking app, i found that the phone seemed to perform better when multiwindow was ON, both in power saver, and performance, but power saver with multi-window on is laggy for me, even though i think the benchmark app actually scored it higher than it used to be. (didn't remember my old scores exactly.)

0 Likes
PaleFlyer
Enthusiast - Level 2

It won't help. I have mine defaulting to LTE/CDMA, and have the same issues.  and it still isn't any better.

0 Likes