Re: The latest update seems to be affecting mobile data.
LarryBrad
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the tip #Bontjes and I'm glad this procedure worked for you. I disabled VZW Text Messaging, which was marked with this newest update ID, but it did not work for me here in Omaha.  And yes, just to make sure to try additional steps to reinforce the procedure, I rebooted, pulled the battery, restarted with/without my 7 day old SIM card, etc., in an attempt to make this work.  My consistent observation is that if the signal strength is 2-3 bars or fewer, I get no data service post-update.  My wife's non-updated, identical  GS3 device works fine at 2 bars (5Mb down/2Mb Up) but I get no connectivity at 2 bars.  At my closest VZW Store, 2.4 miles away, where I can get 5-6 bars, my GS3 works fine (20mb down/10Mb up).  It is impossible for my VZW Store to troubleshoot the problem with this situation, but they did as much as they could to be helpful, including replacing the SIM.  Obviously, my wife's phone will not be updated with this version of the release and I have to do something because when I travel, this is not tolerable.  That's why I am willing to try most anything short of rooting the device.  An official statement from Verizon and/or Samsung would go a long way in maintaining my faith in these two companies.

0 Likes
Bontjes
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well,

I think I may have spoke too soon.

I did something tonight that started this whole thing over. I literally was back to normal for nearly 2 full days. I sent multiple picture and SMS messages without my phone even hiccuping. I watched my phone transition from wifi to 4G as smoothly as it always had. My data speeds went from 5mb before the update to 1k after the update and back to 5mbs after I deleted that caller ID application.

Tonight however, I attempted to do something that I don't normally do. I attempted to send one picture to two separate phone numbers at the same time.

BAM!!!

I'm back to 100k download and upload speeds. I'm back to my messages (SMS) either not sending at all or taking several minutes to send. My picture messages - the same. The transition between wifi and 4G is despicable. When I shut my wifi off I have no data connection for roughly 10 minutes. When it comes back it comes back as 3G only and then eventually 4G after several more minutes.

By the way Larry, I tried driving around town. Even in areas of full signal (near the Verizon Store) I still can't manage to get more than 400k down and 100k up.

I decided to call Verizon tonight and ask for help again. They are going to be sending me a replacement phone which will be here on Monday. They also submitted a trouble ticket that will be reviewed by an engineer, so I'm told. I'm holding out hope that they will find something that will indicate to Verizon that there is actually something wrong with the update that was released last week.

My phone was absolutely the best phone for nearly a year and then this update screwed that up completely. Verizon -- I hope you are reading and listening to what I have to say when I call in. I'm trying to be very descriptive and trying to add context so that you have something to go off of when/if you actually take my complaint to heart.

I know that I'm not the only one. I feel I deserve some attention on this matter. Replacing my phone with a phone that has already been rejected by someone - is NOT what I want.

Please listen!

0 Likes
one-off-customer888
Enthusiast - Level 2

Dont get your hopes up. I have my third ticket with verizon today. Theyll give you some crap about taking out the 4g sim card for  few minutes, then putting it back in and thatll fix it. While true, its only temporary. Verizon needs to admit there is a problem. All their reps say the same bs about "This is the first time ive heard this and im not allowed to look on the verizon page" verizon really dropped the ball with this

0 Likes
legalkill

Verizon support on twitter has gone silent on the issue as well. I let them know that after a rest the issue still persists. I have not heard anything from them since I reported that on the 5th. They progressed the basic troubleshooting over a few days all the way to the inevitable reset. They also ignored my issue with Google voice not sending notifications on new voice mail that I initially sent to @googlevoice. Magically verizon responded but went silent on that too.

0 Likes
Bontjes
Enthusiast - Level 3

This is so frustrating. My phone worked all day at work. I came home and it stopped working... No data and almost no connection. I've lived here for five years and never had that problem.

I rebooted and my phone works okay, but now it's back to not working and I didn't do anything different. I'm still at home in my living room.

😞

0 Likes
KG546
Enthusiast - Level 2

I honestly thought it was just my new phone that I got on May 30th. Everything was working great. Fast phone, slick features, etc. Monday arrives and I would get internet now and then. I figured it was because of where I worked since I had wifi issues with my HTC Incredible 2. With my old phone, it just took awhile to use the internet. When I came in on Tuesday, NOTHING. Zip. Zilch. My bar was full on Monday but then two to zero bars on Tuesday and going forward. It was driving me nuts. I was going crazy. It got worse as each day passed. I went from no connection to no mobile usage. I didn't know I had missed texts/calls until I walked out of my office and I hardly saw 4LTE. To top it off, my battery drained like crazy. I would get 67% by noon and I haven't touched my phone. I would get 67% at home but that is at night before I go to bed and I've been using the phone all day. I've read a lot of the postings on here and links by switching the app manager from Global to LTE, removed Caller ID and disabled it on my phone. I really can't tell right now since I am at home and it works fine. I'll just have to wait until I go into work to see if I'm experiencing the same problem. I assume that everyone in this forum is experiencing this issue because they updated their software because I have. I refused to receive a refurbished phone from Verizon. I hope this issue gets resolved soon. I still love this phone but the software issues are driving me crazy.

0 Likes
JoeKiv
Contributor - Level 1

If you got the phone on May 30, you are still within the 14 day window that allows you to return the phone and get a "new" one. If I were you I wouldn't wait around for a fix. I would go to a Verizon Company Store and get an exchange.  Make sure the "new" phone you are given is working correctly before leaving.  If so, don't do the update.

0 Likes
hchen

Just wanted to add that I'm experiencing the same problems as well.

Verizon needs to fix this NOW.  Why not just roll everyone back to the previous version?  Doesn't make sense for us to suffer AND pay for it during the weeks it will take them to fix this release.

0 Likes
jz68

There are easy to follow instruction on Android Forums on how to revert back to MB1, even if your phone isn't rooted.

>Comment deleted for discussing moderation. The reasoning for editing your post is in your other post. Read the ToS and you will understand why your post was edited. But again, it is explained in your post<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator><

0 Likes
KG546
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi. I got your message. How do I fix it before I go back to request for another phone?7

>> personal information removed <<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes