Texts with emoji's sending as mms only
Paul13
Enthusiast - Level 2

I recently updated to 4.3 and whenever I send a text with emojis it sends as an mms message and that just drains my batter and drives up my data plan, is there any fix to this?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Texts with emoji's sending as mms only
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

MMS messages do not count against your data plan, they count against your text package.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

MMS messages do not count against your data plan, they count against your text package.

0 Likes
Paul13
Enthusiast - Level 2

well when you send texts as mms it uses data because you cant send mms on wifi and I was just wondering if there was anyway to send sms messages with emojis

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes, picture and enhanced texts (such as those with emoji's) require a data connection to send/receive, but as noted earlier, they don't count against your data package, they count against your text package.

0 Likes
Paul13
Enthusiast - Level 2

well is there any way I could send them in an sms message because the internet signal where i live isnt good so sometimes the mms messages take forever to send

tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

no

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Paul13 wrote:

well is there any way I could send them in an sms message because the internet signal where i live isnt good so sometimes the mms messages take forever to send

Emojis, emoticons, formatting text with color or special fonts, attaching photos or videos - all are MORE than SMS - Simple Message Service.  SIMPLE, text only messages.

Anything more converts or is sent as MMS, requiring a data connection, although it only counts as a text message and does not dip into your data allowance.

0 Likes
Paul13
Enthusiast - Level 2

Why don't they just make it part of SMS like on iPhones

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Paul13 wrote:

Why don't they just make it part of SMS like on iPhones

??  iPhones use iMessage -which DOES count against your data plan (unless you use wifi).  If you are not using iMessage (data) and using Verizon's text messaging, both SMS and MMS count as text; using emoji's or other enhancements will mean using MMS.

0 Likes