Re: Text Messages fail to send when connected to WiFi
Dissatisfied_user
Enthusiast - Level 2

I share your pain! This is happening to me now in September 2019. I have to manually disable wifi to get a text message to successfully send.  Phone calls do the same thing. They just hang without dialing until I turn off wifi. Most inconvenient.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We would never want to see you leave and I understand your concern with text and calls not working when on Wi-Fi. Let's work together to get to the bottom of this. When did this start? Does it happen on all Wi-Fi connections? What messaging app are you using?

DerekR_VZW

0 Likes
troutwolf
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've experienced this same issue for years. It affects my ability to send and receive Messages and also to make outgoing or receive incoming calls (both normal mobile calls and Wi-Fi calls). It happens intermittently (I've read on other sites that the problem is somehow related to the Wi-Fi Calling option losing connection). The problem disappears the second I am disconnected from work Wi-Fi.

It happened on my Pixel 1 and it happens on my Note 9. It happened at my previous work location and at my current work location. It happens when using the default Android messaging app "Messages." In my experience, it happens only on work-related Wi-Fi networks.

It CLEARLY has something to do with a conflict between the mobile data connection and the Wi-Fi security settings, but the question is why? Why is there a Wi-Fi network setting that is capable of disrupting SMS messages and phone calls? Why would that security setting exist? Why haven't you been able to find a work-around?

This is very concerning. I get bombarded with messages (sometimes time-critical) when I leave work. Additionally, my message recipients have informed me that my messages sometimes come through in duplicates once I've disconnected from the work Wi-Fi.

Can we pretend for the sake of simplicity that this is a Wi-Fi security conflict that is interrupting our ability to send/receive SMS messages and phone calls? Is it possible for the big brains at Verizon to look into what is causing this? If you ask me a technical question instead of addressing the question I'm asking, so help me god... 

Note 9
Software version: N960USQS2CSGB
Messaging app: Messages
Wi-Fi Calling: Enabled
Advanced Calling: Enabled

Edgeman4
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have a brand new Note 10+and just switched from Tmobile and i am starting to regret it with all the problems I've been having with Verizon. I have this same issue at my work where i need to turn off wifi for my texts to go through. I set this issuehas been ongoing for quite some time without any updates. It's concerning that it is happening on a brand new phone i just got a week ago. I'd Verizon even looking into this? I'm just about to switch back at this point with all the other issues I've been plagued with. Can someone at Verizon shed some light on this? 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Text messages are how we stay connected troutwolf, and this has gone on way too long. Don't worry we will get it fixed. Do you know anyone near you with these same issues? Can you please provide the zip code and the nearest intersection of the area where you are having this issue? Thanks in advance.

RosanneM_VZW

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Edgeman4, we certainly don't want to see you go! I am sorry to learn that you are having trouble with sending text messages over Wi-Fi. This has not been reported as a known issue of the phone. You said you have this problem at work; do you have this problem elsewhere connected to Wi-Fi?

TionnaB_VZW

0 Likes
jozefrs
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same problem here in Portland. Happens on my unlocked galaxy fold over any wifi network. Disabling wifi or wifi calling fixes the issue, but I'd like to maintain that functionality if possible. I think this needs to be elevated to a high level engineering team, it appears that countless Verizon users have experienced this in numerous places. A problem this widespread seems to be network-side and well beyond individual troubleshooting.

0 Likes
jozefrs
Enthusiast - Level 2

Update: disabling wifi calling does not address the issue.

0 Likes
jozefrs
Enthusiast - Level 2

Can anyone @vzw_customer_support assist us with this problem? It appears to be quite widespread and unresolved. I'm using an unlocked Samsung Galaxy Fold with a new SIM card and fully updated Android 9 and system apps (phone/messages).

jozefrs
Enthusiast - Level 2

Someone on Reddit helped me find a fix and explain this issue.

For the fix, turn WiFi calling off and restart your phone. If you don't restart after disabling WiFi calling, the issue will persist.

The problem stems from common enterprise firewalls. They often are set, whether purposefully or not, to block the ways WiFi calling communicates through the network.

For everyone here like @Dissatisfied_user@Edgeman4, and@troutwolf, try this and see if it works!