Re: Text Messages fail to send when connected to WiFi
mcdonamw
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just putting my 2 cents in here.  This is clearly an issue with using SMS (and even calling for some) with Wifi Calling enabled.

To the people that are having problems with this while on their corporate wifi, you must consider it is likely your company is filtering internet traffic.  As I am in IT at my job, I know for a fact that we are doing just that for any internet traffic sourcing from any of our internal networks (wired or wireless).  It's very likely whatever policies they have in place are the primary cause of your issue.

With that said, I have this issue sporadically.  Today it's been a nightmare.  About 90% of my messages fail, whereas hitting resend causes them to send 100% of the time second go round.  After running across this post, I decided to turn off wifi calling and magically my issues seemed to have disappeared.  I know I'm not performing any sort of outbound traffic filtering at home.  I know my wifi strength is perfect as I'm monitoring it and using it completely fine for a number of other things while having issues with my texts and even calling (calls constantly being dropped).  It's possible sms and calling are just more sensitive to minor internet disruptions while other services (like streaming) are more tolerant due to buffering and such.  

Ultimately this may not be a Verizon issue at all but just terrible implementations of the protocols for sms/voice over wifi or your actual internet, or even possible it's somewhere along the internet path between your device and Verizon's service (unless you're on Verizon Fios you likely do not have a direct connection to Verizon's network), in which case the issue may lie entirely outside the purview of your ISP or Verizon's.

0 Likes
robottech72
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same here. I've worked with Verizon, worked with my IS dept and it still doesnt work. My co-workers are on verizon but they have iPhones...it might be time to get rid of the Samsung and try something different.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want you to have the service you depend upon, Robottech72. Are you having this issue with all messaging applications? If not, please advise of the specific app you are using. When did this issue begin or when did you first notice an issue?

0 Likes
KatTheFoxtaur

Also wanted to add my 2¢. I've noticed lately - including in just the past few minutes - that I'm still having issues sending SMS messages when my WiFi is on - however WiFi Calling is turned OFF.

If I disconnect ENTIRELY from WiFi, the messages go right through. But I just verified that WiFi Calling is indeed NOT enabled, because I've had this problem in the past, and disabling it helped back then.

I live in the mountains and have very weak signal as it is. At this moment, my signal is wavering between -113dBM & 0 ASU, to -90dBM & 4 ASU. And that's with a cellular repeater (I don't have one of those internet-connected mini-towers because I'm the only one between my and my in-laws' apartment units with Verizon, and can't justify the expense).

This is why I really wish WiFi Calling would actually work, for both calls and texts, as I can barely do anything on cellular. But because it doesn't, I have to keep WiFi Calling disabled. But even then, just having WiFi turned ON at all seems to cause issues where it's STILL apparently trying to send via WiFi!! But having WiFi turned off is not an option, because again, I have barely any usable signal...

Also putting my 2¢ in for those mentioning iMessage: Please note that iMessage is an internet-based messaging app - if messages "are going through", and if you are messaging another iOS user, they will actually traverse your 4G/5G data or WiFi. Thus, if the message bubble is blue, it did not go through SMS, and are not truely a "Text Message" applicable to this situation. The only time iMessages go through the actual SMS network, which is different from 4G/5G data, is when messaging to non-iMessage users (ie. green message bubble).

My phone is a Samsung Note20 Ultra 5G 512GB, with latest available updates. WiFi issues and/or internet problems/etc. should really not be relevant at all here, because WiFi Calling is disabled anyway. The fact that it's not going through with WiFi enabled, but is with WiFi disabled, is the reason for my post, as it should be going through cellular regardless of the WiFi setting, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

~Kat

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

KatTheFoxtaur,

Keeping you connected is always our priority. We want to make sure you can stay in touch without issue, even when you are on Wi-Fi. I want to get to the bottom of the issue here. What texting app do you use on your phone? 

AndrewT_VZW

0 Likes
Tgminch

Change the Mac address on your wifi to the other option it's working for me.

0 Likes
jvit

i have they same problem with my samsung galaxy s8 fully updated apps and os fails to send over wifi have to disconnect hit resend its been doing this for at least a year now so i bought a new samsung galaxy s20 with 5g same exact problem.  verizon went from beingthe best the last 20 years to probably the worst now the last 2 years im so tiredof this service not working.  if you the get help report a bug option in the verizon messages app they are completely useless they told me how to disable pops ups like that has anything to do with the problem.  i replied multiple other times with screen shots and no reply.  think its time to jump to at&t get rid of this trash service.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

To clarify, did you only have this issue while connected to Wi-Fi?*Estevan

0 Likes
soangry
Enthusiast - Level 2

2022 and this issue still exists.  It's awesome.

0 Likes
KH-OrnEsh
Moderator Emeritus

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes