Telephone Robocall Abuse Criminal Enforcement and Deterrence Act
Block_POed
Enthusiast - Level 2

"The key is requiring these phone companies to help stop the calls before they reach the consumer and do it at no additional charge," she told The AP.

While consumers can buy software like Hiya and YouMail to help weed out the billions of robocalls that Americans collectively receive each month on cellphones, this new legislation thrusts the responsibility on service providers to block those calls from ever reaching consumers."

So question to Verizon:  Why are you in violation by not blocking unwanted robocalls?  The AI technology is out there.  Especially for the $2.99 being paid for this service.  In regards to your obligations, this creates an unfair and deceptive practice by which can now be taken to each state's attorney general, the FTC.gov and FCC for violation of TCPA and Can SPAM laws.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Telephone Robocall Abuse Criminal Enforcement and Deterrence Act
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, Block_POed. We understand the frustration of spam and robocalls, so we're here to help. The good news is that we also offer a free version of Call Filter. Refer to "Free Spam Protection" in https://www.verizon.com/support/how-to-use-call-filter/ for details. Rest assured, that we're also working hard behind the scenes to help eliminate robocalls. I hope this is beneficial.

TracyB_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Block_POed
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello Tracyb_VZW;

Unfortunately, neither the free spam or the paid $2.99/mo/per line Blocking Service has worked to block, filter out or prevent  callers be they robocalls, live or otherwise (VoIP) from leaving voice messages (especially in Chinese), bogus text 'vote' messages including international one-way texts where the victim gets charged or preventing calls not on the contact list from penetrating.  The continual harassment such as 2 or 3 of said calls daily is paramount to cyber stalking impact.  A violation of the right to be left alone, especially when the Blocking  service is paid for.  That means it's a deceptive and unfair practice in violation of what the service promotes and promises to deliver but fails to implement.

The fact the robo calls, spoofing, and phishing calls get through are direct attacks that rake in $billions.  Verizon has an obligation to prevent this.  The technology exists but it costs money to implement.  That said, when the ATG's (state Attorney Generals), FTC and FCC come after Verizon for the millions of robo calls they've allowed through, hindsight will cost the company millions.  Instead of posting on the community, Verizon needs to take action and change the behavior of criminal activity getting through.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Block_POed,

I am saddened to learn that you have been encountering unwanted calls. I know how disruptive these calls can be. I want to let you know that we appreciate you providing the details in your message. 

While all unwanted and scam calls are not able to be completely blocked and the methods constantly change with these offenders, we take these concerns seriously. Please click https://www.verizon.com/articles/scam-phone-calls/ to learn more about the steps we have taken. 

0 Likes
BlahBlahSpammedOn
Enthusiast - Level 2

The 'steps' taken by Verizon seem woefully inadequate. Where's a class action lawsuit when you need one.

phido
Enthusiast - Level 2

I see that the STIR/SHAKEN deadline has been pushed out to June 30, 2021. I don't think a lawsuit now would do anything other than make some lawyers richer. We'll have to wait and see what changes after the deadline. Maybe the carriers' techs are all busy with 5G now because that's the "next big thing."

I know that Verizon is saddened to learn that we have been encountering unwanted calls and they know how disruptive these calls can be. We can rest assured that Verizon... [insert canned reply#2 here].