System Update causing problems with keyboard
KCover
Enthusiast - Level 2

I updated my Galaxy S6 to the G920VVRU4DQF3 update on 8-15. Now "Samsung keyboard keeps stopping" error message is constantly flashing and I can't type anything. Restarting the phone did nothing. I can't find any information online about this issue or problems associated with this update. How can I A) resolve this issue ASAP and b) report this major problem with the system update?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: System Update causing problems with keyboard
KCover
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hey, just wanted to report that the latest system update (G920VVRS4DQH1) has resolved the problem! Thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
ANTHILL360
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have been experiencing this exact same problem - often when I try to add an emoji in the text. The only way I have found to fix it is to go to Settings > Language and Input > Default Keyboard > Swype

This, however, is only a temporary fix and the problem continues when you try to use the emojis next time. It's super frustrating.

I have found that the new update (G920VVRU4DQF3) causes almost every app to crash on my phone. I no longer am able to listen to voicemails (the app crashes), or check emails, or Facebook/Twitter, etc.

Any long-term solution would be appreciated!

RyGuy726
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had the same issue. I read another thread about clearing the cache in both the Samsung and Swype Keyboards. These would sometimes help get the keyboard working again, but not for long, and not every time I cleared it. I just "Disabled" the Swype keyboard from the App manager on my S6 and the regular Samsung Keyboard works again. I'm not sure if it will permanently correct the issue, but at least for now I can text etc.

SHAMOR96
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have also had the same problems. It locked up on me today and I couldn't get back into the phone because once it's restarted you have to put in a password. The keyboard wouldn't come up for me to do so. I had to do a factory reset. However, I can't find where to disable keyboards in App manager.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

KCover, we want to make sure your phone is working after the software update.  It's possible that the software did not download correctly.  We want you to run the Samsung software repair assistant to help fix the issue, follow the link for instructions: http://vz.to/2uQYvwn

RalphT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I am sorry to learn of the issues you have experienced, SHAMOR96. Just to ensure that we are on the same page, are you using the stock keyboard as well? After the factory reset, have you noticed the keyboard locking up? Does it lock up when using any specific application or across the board?

ChrisM_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

You should be able to use the keyboard anytime you want and have the Swype feature RyGuy726. When did this start? If you enable Swype, what error message do you get?

AmberF_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
KCover
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks everyone for your replies! I downloaded the software upgrade utility, but it doesn't appear to detect any problems on my phone (i.e. despite following the instructions, can't get the "Start Repair" window to open). I've discovered that the keyboard only fails when I try to use an emoji (and then will persistently pop up the error message regardless of what I'm doing). Like others mentioned, switching over to Swype resolves the problem. I don't use emojis very often so I can live with it.

0 Likes
SAS86

I am having the same problem. My default keyboard is swype. It works fine until I try to insert an emoji and then I get the error message that locks my keyboard. It appears that the emoji selection not only locks the keyboard, but also changes my default keyboard to samsung. The only way to regain use of the keyboard is to go into language and input in my settings and change the default keyboard back to swype. This only became a problem after the most recent system update.

0 Likes
albertor_vzw
Verizon Employee
Sas86, that is strange that his would be happening with your keyboard. We are here to help. Can you clear the app on your Swype Keyboard Application? Click here for instructions: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-150932/

AlbertoR_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupportIf my  response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button  under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our  conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes