Swype Keyboard problem
Pearson200

I have chosen Swype Keyboard for my input device in Settings. However, sometimes while typing (email/text), the keyboard disappears and I get a message saying the Samsung keyboard has quit. I close message, but then it reappears several times. When I check the Settings, I notice that the Keyboard is set back to "Default" even though I had set it to Swype.

What is causing this problem?

Thanks.

Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: Swype Keyboard problem
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Pearson200,

Swype is an extremely convenient keyboard to use, so it's important that it works properly for you. There are several reasons devices will malfunction, but these types of issues are typically software/installed app related. So that we can better understand what's going on, we'd like to gather some additional information. What are you using on the device when you receive the keyboard error message? How long has this been happening? What changes were made to the device prior to this trouble starting?

ShawnteJ_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Pearson200

The problem occurs when I am sending text messages. The problem is relatively recent. I have not downloaded any apps for awhile. Perhaps the most recent "change" is the Android update on 30 August.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Pearson200,

Thanks for those details. Let's make sure the Samsung keyboard is up to date to see if that stops the malfunction and change from Swype to default. To do this, go to Galaxy Apps from the app drawer> Menu (3 dots at top-right) > My apps > Update > check for and if available, apply the Samsung Keyboard update. After doing this, test it out and let us know if that stops the error and change from happening.

ShawnteJ_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Pearson200

I checked the list of apps that had updates and the Samsung keyboard was not among them.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Pearson200,

Thanks for checking for the updates for us. Let's try placing the phone into Safe Mode using the steps shown here http://vz.to/2fBOolA . Once in Safe Mode, try using your phone for texting or email to see if you get the same error message or if the keyboard changes to the default on its own. Let us know what happens.

ShawnteJ_VZW

0 Likes
Pearson200

Problem occurs even in Safe Mode. I think the problem occurs only when texting and when I try to enter an emoji. When I press on the smiley face icon, that is when I get the message the the Samsung Keyboard is closed and no keyboard appears. (Recall that I have selected Swype as my default keyboard. Once this problem occurs, the Default Keyboard is set back to the Samsung one).

Also, I am sometimes able to go for awhile with no problem. Once problem starts, then it happens in a streak, even after restarting the phone.

0 Likes
Pearson200

Just an addendum: once the problem starts, the Samsung Keyboard Has Stopped message just appears on screen, regardless of whether or not I am in an app that uses the keyboard.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Pearson200,

Your efforts and the information you've shared are truly appreciated. Since this issue is happening with the keyboards that are pre-installed on the phone and the issue is still present during Safe Mode, we recommend trying to repair the software using the Software Repair Assistant. The following links will walk you through installing the program onto your computer and running the assistant:

Initial Setup

http://vz.to/2qwZYEl

Software Repair

http://vz.to/1Uc3A3e

After completing the software repair, please test your phone to see if the issue is still present. Keep us posted on your results.

ShawnteJ_VZW

0 Likes
Pearson200

I'm unable to do a repair. At some point during the backup process, I get a Window that says the device is disconnected; also the message says to (on the phone), select System Update (which I had). When I check, the selection is at File Transfer. I try to reselect File Transfer, but the window closes.

Then there is the continual beeping that you get when you connect any device to Windows --- the "connected" and then "disconnected" sound, with the Auto Play action (Open Folders on phone, which is what i have chosen) popping up over and over again.

I've tried this repair a couple of times but no luck.

0 Likes