Streaming Pandora in car... Bluetooth or WiFi?
vicbee63
Enthusiast - Level 2

Do I use the same amount of data if I stream music from Pandora using WiFi (phone as hotspot) or Bluetooth?  I read that using my phone as a hotspot to stream music 1 hour a day "costs" about 2 GB/month.  The hidden cost is staggering!!

0 Likes
Re: Streaming Pandora in car... Bluetooth or WiFi?
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Bluetooth seems like the better option. Are you talking about turning your phone into a HotSpot and then also running Pandora off it? <--doesn't make sense Or you mean so your car can run the Pandora app? <--that one makes more sense.

Pandora uses about 40mb per hour I believe, which means you could stream around 25 hours for 1GB.

0 Likes
vicbee63
Enthusiast - Level 2

sorry for my lack of clarity.  Yes, my car head unit has Pandora and Google Maps, neither of which work without connectivity so I use my phone as a hotspot.  I was wondering if Bluetooth sucked up less data that WiFi since I stream Pandora 7-8 hours per week from my car.

0 Likes
Not applicable

It's not going to matter. You're not using "wi-fi" in the way you are thinking. You are using mobile data regardless. when I connect my phone via wi-fi at home I'm using my cable internet connection not Verizon's network. When you are using "wi-fi" to connect your car radio to you phone you're just using "wi-fi" to connect the 2 devices you'd still be using the mobile data.

Pandora uses up to 64 kbps via your phone. I'm not sure if you car unit uses more than that.  That's roughly 28 MB per hour so 8 hours would be about 225 MB per week. Or just under 1 GB per month.

0 Likes
vicbee63
Enthusiast - Level 2

ok, thanks for the clarification. 

0 Likes