Storage Issues - not adding up
lj1981

I have had my Galaxy S4 about 4 or 5 months. I have the 16GB one and an additional 32GB on  an SD card. I have all my pictures/videos saved to the SD card. Just this morning I got the "you're out of memory" error and sure enough, when I look at my storage on my phone almost the entire 16GB is taken up. Miscellaneous files supposedly account for 6.42 GB, however when I look more closely there is no way the different folders under misc add up to 1 GB, let alone 6. Further, when I plug my phone into my laptop and I look at the total storage taken up by all the folders on the phone, they add up to about 6GB. Similarly, there supposedly almost 6GB of "pictures", but when I look at the phoen on my laptop there are no pictures on the phone (just the SD card). I can't delete something that isn't there - does anyone else have this problem? Does anyone know how to fix it?

0 Likes
Re: Storage Issues - not adding up
lj1981

For some reason Verizon isn't letting me edit my initial question - I also wanted to add that when I plug in my laptop to view the phone storage, it says I have "1.07 GB free of 9.71 GB". I have a 16GB phone, why does it think I only have 9.71??

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

lj1981 wrote:

For some reason Verizon isn't letting me edit my initial question - I also wanted to add that when I plug in my laptop to view the phone storage, it says I have "1.07 GB free of 9.71 GB". I have a 16GB phone, why does it think I only have 9.71??

There is a five minute edit window for posts on this community.

The space in the S4 is 16 GB, but part of it is reserved for the OS. This reduces the available storage to 9-11 GB in the internal memory space. Do you have an external SD card installed? If not, you might want to consider adding one and moving the pictures and music to the SD card. You can also change the settings in the camera app to save to the SD card instead of the internal memory space.

Message was edited by: Ann154 I just re-read the OP and saw that you have the SD card installed. Something else must be taking up the storage in the internal memory space.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

lj1981,

I know how important it is to have all the memory you need for your media, we'll make sure we help you get to the bottom of this. Please go to Settings>Storage>Scroll to SD card Storage; what do you see in available and total space(just for the SD card)? Have you accessed your "My Files folder to review all the content of them?

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport

0 Likes