Re: So hey, Verizon...you gonna release Marshmallow for the S6? I mean pretty much everyone else has....
jalecbronson
Enthusiast - Level 3

the main point i guess is that we as paying customers shouldn't have to deal with this kind of crap.I shouldn't be getting emails saying "oh are you going to upgrade to the s7?? it's sooo awesome!" when i haven't even been properly served with my current s6, which wasn't a cheap "oh what the hey" venture into my wallet. 

0 Likes
Re: So hey, Verizon...you gonna release Marshmallow for the S6? I mean pretty much everyone else has....
Tidbits
Legend

It was a joke. It's what people complaining about not getting the update generally say, but they don't see the fact... LG updated their devices. Verizon or LG could have delayed to get people to buy the G5 for the latest and greatest. HTC and Verizon could have done the same M10 is going to be announced soon. As those examples shows that the argument that Verizon withholding updates to push out the latest and greatest products starts to fall apart. So it's either Samsung is doing it, or they are still working on the updates and they haven't fulfilled their contractual agreement.

0 Likes
jalecbronson
Enthusiast - Level 3

that's not how updates work. samsung releases what they deem to be a suitable update and the carriers then have the chance to adjust it within whatever contract has been signed. Samsung isn't the entity saying "whoa, hold on there, Verizon...no no no, not yet."

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon isn't the company delaying the updates. Samsung is responsible for the majority of the delay as they are ones writing the code. Bluetooth, wifi and radio certifications by the manufacturers of those components and FCC take another part.  Verizon only plays a small tiny part in the updates.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

No that's not what happens it's been verified by

Samsung

Motorola

HTC

LG

Google

Sony

Manufacturers make the update and have carriers buy into a set of options. Once the agreement has been set manufacturers implement the code into their base. When they are finished it goes to carrier for testing. It goes back and forth until both are satisfied.

jalecbronson
Enthusiast - Level 3

tiddbits, not to be chidish...but ok yeah...i will be...if you love verizon so much why don't you marry them? i mean think about it, they won't be mad if you cheat on the pre-nup, so long as its done through their apps (no data cap penalty through streams from go90.)

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Think for a minute...

All these companies are going to give their proprietary code to carriers to modify. Sorry that isn't happening and manufacturers already said this themselves on multiple occasions.

This isn't about loving the carrier... It's about code... Who controls said code dictates what happens. If manufacturers were so keen to pass out their code there would be leaks of source code by now but that has never happened.

0 Likes
jalecbronson
Enthusiast - Level 3

i meant to say ann154, not tidbits in my last post. my bad. even so....if it as you say tid, then why isn't verizon just responding to this thread and saying something to that tune?

0 Likes
jalecbronson
Enthusiast - Level 3

also, still doesn't explain the lack of other updates non-marshamallow to the phone....

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

NDA Verizon can't say a thing. Also Samsung hasn't stuck to their promise either worldwide. Last I heard there's a lawsuit in Europe about it as we speak. Just some food for thought.

0 Likes