Re: Security patch level updates lagging
cdchurch
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, my question was kind of two parts.  I was curious if anyone had anything later than Feb 1st.  To verify if I had an issue with my phone not getting later updates.  Since there are Verizon employees on this forum, I would hope they have the answer to this.

Chuck

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The VZW reps aren't going to know or say anything beyond the official software level which was released on March 25, 2016 and you can view the details of it here. Samsung Galaxy S7 edge Software Update | Verizon Wireless

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Ferndale, we definitely want to ensure your device is up to speed. Thanks for providing that device information. If the 1x is still appearing, please remove and reinsert the SIM card while the device is powered off as follows:  http://vz.to/1qZAoFg. Keep us posted if the 4G returns. As to the updates to the security patches, we receive that information on the day it's released to a device. Your device is currently up to date.

EbonyR_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the ?Correct Answer? button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
cyrilia09
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm the same way, security patch 02/01/16, last system update 03/25/16.

0 Likes
tlake84
Enthusiast - Level 2

Tmobile, Sprint and ATT have already released the new updates. Along with a whole laundry list of fixes, ones that include touchscreen sensitivity, battery improvements, specifically the Android System battery drain bug and security updates. They are now running on version PB8/PC8 and we are still on PB5 just to put it into perspective. Unfortunately, no one here will be able to tell you anything beyond what a 5 second google search will turn up.

cdchurch
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks.  Glad it's not just me.  Google is releasing these updates monthly to address security issues.  But if it takes Verizon one or two months additionally, it kind of defeats the purpose.  Google really needs a way to side-step the carriers for stuff like this.  It's clearly not working the way it is supposed to.

Chuck

Tidbits
Legend

Samsung doesn't push out the updates monthly. it isn't that easy just slapping the update to their devices. Google has the advantage they have the source code and keep own what bugs they are working on. They push the update and then carriers get the source code. Manufacturers at that point is a month behind. Then add their multiple devices and even the names may be the same have variations in them. Samsung doesn't have the same teams working on updates so you can't expect them to finish at the same time.

0 Likes
cdchurch
Enthusiast - Level 3

According to http://security.samsungmobile.com/smrupdate.html they do release monthly updates.  I can only assume they release them to the carriers like Verizon. 

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Those lists are for their unlocked global devices. Their disclaimer on their introduction page basically tells it varies by region and carrier. "Models list may vary depending on regions and carriers.

Samsung plans to expand the monthly updates to extended models in other regions and carriers in the near future."

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
tlake84
Enthusiast - Level 2

Regardless, it still does not alleviate the fact that all the other major carriers now have the latest software and security update. Meanwhile, we are still on February security and have known bugs in our software/firmware that have already been addressed by Samsung months ago. I was hoping it was going to be different this time around with a "flag ship" phone from verizon. But I see that is not the case. The only thing we can do is generate enough "awareness" from a customer perspective to make it a priority. The lack of tangible information provided by verizon is befuddling.