Searching for gps when opening navigation
rzingkane

Within the past 3 weeks whenever I open Google Navigation there is a message that says Searching for gps. Even though I get this message navigation correctly identifies my location and will correctly create a route for me to take. However, navigation will not navigate the route and there is no voice navigation. Standalone GPS services and Google location services are both checked on. Verizon location services is un-checked but even if it was checked on I still get the Searching for gps message.

I downloaded GPS Toolbox. It is showing 30+ seconds to get a GPS lock and it show my phone losing the GPS lock. It does not appear to be location specific because I got this message in Colorado Springs, Phoenix, San Diego, Albuquerque, Flagstaff and I get it while I'm outdoors and indoors.

I've googled this message and I see people saying it's the phone, carrier, google maps, JB update.

Anybody having this problem?

VZW SG3

VRBLK3

Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: Searching for gps when opening navigation
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you keep the GPS settings on all the time or do you turn it on only when you intend to use the GPS satellites?

On the rare occasion, I can't get a lock, I open an application called GPS Test and use it to help with the GPS lock. I downloaded it from the Play Store and keep it installed on my phone.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
ice_candi

it is most likely the phones software...but first try going into manage apps, delete all data and cache from google maps, navigation, try going into navigation through maps first, sometimes that kickstarts the gps, you can try reinstalling maps which will work sometimes, if it still doesn't work try using mapquest and see if you get a lock....make sure the phone is clear to the sky...it's very sensitive to that and loses gps signal very easily...but all in all the gps in this phone is not very good lots of people have problems with it...there are software patches out there that help a bit and I don't know why Verizon doesn't ota something of the sort...mapquest will usually get a fast solid lock while Google won't for. some reason though....Google still has some work to do on their app it seems to me

0 Likes
rzingkane

Ann154 wrote:

Do you keep the GPS settings on all the time or do you turn it on only when you intend to use the GPS satellites?

On the rare occasion, I can't get a lock, I open an application called GPS Test and use it to help with the GPS lock. I downloaded it from the Play Store and keep it installed on my phone.

Yes, I keep GPS on all the time. I installed GPS Status and it shows 35-55 seconds to get a GPS lock with 8/18 sat fix.

0 Likes
rzingkane

ice.candi wrote:

it is most likely the phones software...but first try going into manage apps, delete all data and cache from google maps, navigation, try going into navigation through maps first, sometimes that kickstarts the gps, you can try reinstalling maps which will work sometimes, if it still doesn't work try using mapquest and see if you get a lock....make sure the phone is clear to the sky...it's very sensitive to that and loses gps signal very easily...but all in all the gps in this phone is not very good lots of people have problems with it...there are software patches out there that help a bit and I don't know why Verizon doesn't ota something of the sort...mapquest will usually get a fast solid lock while Google won't for. some reason though....Google still has some work to do on their app it seems to me

I've cleared data and cache, de-installed maps/rebooted/re installed maps. I have found people on Sprint, T-Mobile, ATT and Verizon all having this problem. It's not specific to SG3 either. It's been reported on ICS but the JB update seems to be bearing the brunt of the blame. Sitting in my car yesterday and every time I opened Navigation I got Searching for GPS. This morning back in my car in the exactly same location as yesterday and it's working correctly.

For me it's an intermittent problem....and there is nothing worse than dealing with an intermittent problem.

0 Likes
ice_candi

ironically my phone started the same thing today...lol...I was in the middle of the woods though

0 Likes
Cindy62707
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am having the same problem.  It searched for the GPS signal the entire 2 hour trip and never locked on even though it showed the map and route I was to follow.

0 Likes
ice_candi

I've actually just gotten my gps instantly locking and staying locked perfectly...according to Verizon terms of service I can not tell you how but know that the gps on this phone does have the ability to work wonderfully on this phone as well as other most other phones, even with Google navigation...calibrating the phone worked for a bit then stopped as the Verizon "tech" told me to do...it has nothing to do with the operating system on the phone...more the programming of the internal gps itself in most cases

0 Likes
rickmc51

Re: Searching for gps when using navigation

I had the same problem. GPS would work with no voice and also did not redirect route if not followed. I removed the navigator from the home display, replaced it, updated google maps, powered off, removed the battery and the sd card.

Waited approx. one minute, replaced the sd card and battery and powered back up. Worked fine for me!

0 Likes