Scratched device
GodsPrototype
Enthusiast - Level 2

I haven't done much with my phone at all. I've only had it for a week, and I made sure I got the extra coverage on my phone. I noticed scratches on my phone the other day, and was really surprised. I contacted Asurion to make a phone claim, but they said I'd have to pay 200 dollars to get it fixed or get a replacement device. I just moved to this country, and I was under the impression that if the device is extremely fragile, I could get it repaired, especially since I pay for the extra coverage. Where do I file a claim or complaint in order to get my phone repaired, or to get a replacement device?

0 Likes
Re: Scratched device
mama23dogs
Legend

NO.   When a device is made of plastic and glass, you are expected to put a case and screen protector on your phone, or expect it will get scratches.

All insurance has a deductable.

I Would never carry around a $500-900 device around without protecting it with a case.   I buy all my cases on Amazon, which is much cheaper than retail store prices.  Stick with 4-5 star cases and screen protectors.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Scratches aren't really a warranty issue.  Hardware failure, broken screen, software crash...yes.  No warranty covers scratches, since it's doubtful that any manufacturer documentation speaks to such things like scratches.

AZSALUKI
Legend

just get a case and you won't see the scratches anyway. the way your protection works is that you only have to pay $200 to get the phone replaced. HOWEVER, they will likely send you a certified "like new" phone. unless you buy a new one for full cost, you aren't going to be getting a new phone. just put a case on it.

mama23dogs
Legend

IF you like it you shoulda put a case on it, oh, oh, oh.

(sorry, you struck a Beonce' cord there)

0 Likes
GodsPrototype
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yeah, but would you expect your phone to have scratches on it after 3 days of very careful and light use?

Also, I had to get permission to go off base to be able to get my phone, and it was on a very short notice. I ordered a case as soon as I got my phone, but shipping in this country seems to take a while. When you're restricted to being on a military base, you don't really have that many options, especially when you just moved from a foreign country and haven't received your credit card yet.

Anyways, after talking to Asurion last week, and talking to tech support after that, I wasn't able to get my problem fixed. Talked to them again yesterday. I was on the line talking for 2 hours and 5 minutes. I called Technical support, who redirected me to customer support, who redirected me to telesales, who redirected me back to customer support, and redirected me to telesales, who redirected me to customer support. At this point I just asked for a manager, and after being on the line with him and another customer support employee for an hour, they finally fixed my problem. They will ship me a Galaxy S6 Edge+ instead (because somehow it was cheaper and it would save me money), and they will ship a return label along with the S6 Edge+.

A bit of a hassle for sure, but I definitely hope it's worth it. Only thing that sucks is that I had to buy a new case for the bigger device.

Weth
Legend

i hope this works out for you, but it makes no sense and I am worried you are going to be shocked by unexpected charges.

I take it from your English you come from an English speaking country.  Sounds very North American - Canada?

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

GodsPrototype wrote:

Yeah, but would you expect your phone to have scratches on it after 3 days of very careful and light use?

..........Yes, purse or pocket, any dirt is abrasive.  I made the mistake with my first smart phone of using it with no case or screen guard.  Even though it was never dropped or abused, it has scratches and abrasions on the case.  Within a week the phone looked used.

I Would also be surprised if no other charges occur.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Does seem odd that Verizon would upgrade a phone so quickly without added charges.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

Perhaps, due to service status?  It would be nice to think a service person would get some understanding, over and above us civilians

0 Likes