Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15 Plus. Newphoria. Get it on us with select Unlimited plans. New line req'd. No trade-in req'd. Online only. Ends 3.31. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
3.2M Members 4,365 Members online 268K Discussions 44K Solutions
Samsung S9 not sending text over wifi
Tallonkt1

Just purchased a Samsung S9 and it won't send text over Wi-Fi using message+.  On a trip with no cell service, internet and email work fine over Wi-Fi. My s6 had no problems with this.

0 Likes
Re: Samsung S9 not sending text over wifi
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Staying connected is certainly important. I would be glad to help get to the bottom of this. To ensure we are on the same page, I do have a couple questions. What error are you encountering when connected to Wi-Fi and using Message plus? Does the issue occur when connected to a specific Wi-Fi network or with multiple Wi-Fi networks? 

Jaime_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Tallonkt1

Thanks for getting back with me, i dont get an error. It just sits there

saying sending. When i was using the samsung message app it told that

there was no network.

I have made sure i stopped the samsung msg app. I also stopped the message

plus app and cleared the cach.

Right now i only have access to one wifi network.

Not sure it matters but i had to use the SIM card out of my S6.

Trying to send a text now if i get a specific error i will let you know

Thanks

Kevin

On Wed, Jul 11, 2018, 10:20 PM vzw_customer_support <

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It is important that you are able to message people while you do not have access to a cellular network, Tallonkt1. Have you tried to use any other messaging applications? To clarify, are you currently in the United States?

PeterP_VZW

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

verizon will provide a free sim card, you shouldn't have to use one from an old phone??

0 Likes
Tallonkt1

Morning,

I have tried the Samsung pre installed massage app, message plus and the

google android message app. None of them work. Interesting enough i also

have a iPhone 6 with me and that works fine.

When i get back home i will go by the Verizon store and see about getting

another sim card.

Thanks

Kevin

On Sat, Jul 14, 2018, 7:58 AM vzw_customer_support <

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Tallonkt1, making sure you are able to send/receive text messages while you are away is a priority. We appreciate all of the efforts you have taken to try and resolve this concern. We do want to let you know that the Messages + application is eligible to be used over Wi-Fi. Can you please verify if you have the latest version of the Messages+ application http://bit.ly/2GPiK3G? Also, we recommend that you test the Messages + application over Wi-Fi when you are back in the States to see if you are receiving the same experience prior to changing your device SIM card. The Galaxy S6 and the S9 utilize the same type of SIM card so there should be no reason to change it. Please keep us updated on the progress.

Sylvia_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Tallonkt1

Im in the country never been out of just no cell service.

Im in town now on the network and message+ works fine. But back at the

house on wifi only it does not.

Not sure what else i can say at this point

On Mon, Jul 16, 2018, 1:13 PM vzw_customer_support <

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Tallonkt1, thank you for the update on your texting issue. Let's work together to help troubleshoot the problem so we get this corrected. I can't imagine it being this problematic and appreciate your efforts thus far. 

Since the texting issue seems network related, do you have any issues connecting to our mobile network at all or anything out of the ordinary with your connection? Please ensure if not already, that your Galaxy S9 has the latest software version in your settings under System Updates. I would also recommend Resetting Network Settings on your device listed here: http://spr.ly/6584DqDZm

Please also reference our Online Troubleshooting Assistant for additional troubleshooting steps at the link below. Keep us posted on any changes. Thanks! http://spr.ly/6585DqDZW

AlanS_VZW

0 Likes
JustMaxAlt

Do you rely upon the wifi calling when at home? Had a similar issue with my Note 9, when at work, on wifi. Currently I have the WiFi calling setting disabled and testing this, as it was the only thing I have not yet tried, short of a master reset.
-Tried Reset Network Settings
-Tried Alternate Texting App (Textra)
-Tried Enabling Developer Options and keeping cellular data on all the time.
-Tried clearing App Cache and Cache Partition.

0 Likes