Samsung S8 Device Maintenance
ehutch
Enthusiast - Level 2

Having an issue with my new device using almost all of the 64gb internal storage, at 62.20gb now.  All personal files are on a microSD so not sure what the heck is happening here.  I went looking for Device Maintenance and it seems Verizon has chosen to remove/disable it.  Is there an alternative solution?  Does anyone have an idea why so much internal storage is being used?  Same apps I had installed on my S7 and it's using less than 22gb.  I've removed a few but they don't free much up.  Ready to return the phone but want to check on this first.

0 Likes
Re: Samsung S8 Device Maintenance
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

I just saw another post from you in another thread with a maintenance problem so I am not sure if they will move that question over here or not. With the problem about space have you cleared the cache partition in recovery mode since you got the phone? I would try there and clear the cache under you settings-storage app in your phone. Hopefully this will make some more room

ehutch
Enthusiast - Level 2

Clearing cache freed up very little, hadn't had the phone long enough.  Performed a factory reset/restore and storage was back to ~20gb.  After about a week it's climbed back to just over 38gb.  Not sure what's causing the growth but what's frustrating is that the Device Maintenance Application from Samsung appears to have been severely limited by Verizon.  According to research is should show under Settings just below the Advanced Features and my phone has nothing there.  I can look at Storage or Battery but that's a small subset of the capabilities the application has.  When I go to the Playstore to download the app it shows as already installed yet I can't locate it anywhere in order to run the full application. 

kathy65793
Master - Level 1

When you are in the Play store and it says it is already installed can you tap it and when it takes you to that app is there an option to open it? I hate when they mess with the phone to the point that what you read about a phone and then get it and the app or options are not available. I just wonder if this is why when we get an update the phone gets messed up. Samsung is testing these updates with All of there apps and options working and by the time we get them to our phone that app or option is disabled. Plus all of Verizon apps on the phone may not be compatible with some of Samsung's apps. I wish that they would leave these apps and options alone since they are the reason most of us want this particular phone. 

ehutch
Enthusiast - Level 2

Playstore shows Device Maintenance as installed with the option to Uninstall it.  Performing the Uninstall however appears to remove just the updates, not the application itself.  I did the uninstall and re-installed and still no luck, the application doesn't show. 

I did find the culprit that's consuming all the space however, through trial and error.  Appears Slingbox consumes all available space for an as yet unknown reason.  I stumbled on after I ran the app and closed it and noticed internal storage was back down to ~17gb then shortly after I received a message that an application was consuming too many resources and my space was almost consumed again.  Deleted the application and researching this particular issue further. 

Would have helped to have the full Device Maintenance application as it's capable of checking internal storage at a detailed level fairly simply.

kathy65793
Master - Level 1

Was this app on the phone when you got it? This is great that you found such an app that takes up that much room. I am sure this will help others when they are trying to clean up room on their phones With your device maintenance app when you uninstalled the update did it put it back to the original way it was when you got the phone? I have been reading about a lot  of people that just want it to go back to the way it was when they got the phone. We had it on our Note 7 and it seemed like it was a very useful app. but as you know that didn't last long. I know sometimes when you try and disable an app it will uninstall the update an put it back to the original app. Do you have DT Ignite on your phone? If it is you can disable it. This app puts a lot of bloatware on the S7 Edge and not sure if they put it on the S8 or not. It was on the Note7 and the first update I got it put a lot of games on the phone that were like over 4-5 hundred mbs. I hate when they put software on a phone that I don't want and then don't give me the option to uninstall them.