Samsung S4 crashes and locks
Tip617

I've had my beautiful Samsung G4 for 6 weeks --  it's beautiful to LOOK at but it repeatedly locks up and shuts down.  I had trouble downloading the 4.3 update for several weeks, and when it finally loaded the trouble really began.  My phone is becoming a piece of junk.   Help!

0 Likes
Re: Samsung S4 crashes and locks
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello Tip617,

Help is right here, front and center! I'm glad to see that you love you S4. It's easily one of the most popular smartphone of 2013. We want you to enjoy all of the benefits of your device and to do that we will get this issue resolved for you once and for all. May I ask is there any physical or liquid damage on the device? Also, what software and android version do you have installed? As far as downloading the 4.3 update, please verify that you have enough device memory to complete the update as this has been an issue for those in the past. Once you share this info then we can customize a solution for you.

Thank you...

ArnettH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
nbarrett

I purchased my gorgeous Galaxy S4 on Black Friday and I love the phone, but I'm having the same problem as Tip617.  I'll be browsing using Gmail or Flipboard and the phone will just lockup and shut down.  I've also had this happen when the phone is charging.  It happens at least once a day--sometimes 3 or 4 times. Smiley Sad  I can't even set my alarm clock on the phone, since it crashes every night while charging the battery.

I've cleared data, uninstalled any suspicious apps, and even done a hard factory reset.  All of this is with the 4.3 update already installed.

I'm at a loss of what to do, other than taking it in to the local VZW store and see what they can do.  Any ideas?

0 Likes
mpk45
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same here:  Just purchased my new S4 & had it activated 4 days ago.  It is now freezing and turning itself off on its own, often when I swipe the screen to unlock. It turned itself off in the middle of a call.  At least ten freezes yesterday alone.  Just did a factory reset, we'll see what happens.  If that doesn't do it, this phone is going back. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi nbarrett,

I want you to love your phone and I am here to help! Your efforts are greatly appreciated. Please advise, after completing the reset did you re-download all of your existing applications? Has the phone been exposed to any physical or water damage?

Thanks for your contribution to our community forums,

AyaniB_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi there mpk45!

The last thing I want is for your new S4 to give you any difficulties! It's a wonderful phone and I know we can help ensure it's working properly. I'm glad you've already reset the device just incase an application caused system instability. I would recommend to install your applications over time and test the phones response. This will help ensure we find the culprit that may cause your phone to reset and freeze. Please keep me posted on your results.

Thanks!

MelissaM_VZW
Please follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
nbarrett

Yes, I did a hard reset and even *before* I downloaded any of my existing applications, the phone froze and reset itself multiple times.  Once while viewing Gmail, another while surfing with Chrome, and a third time after hanging up from a call via my Bluetooth hands-free set in the car.  I haven't had any crashes in the past 24 hours, but I'm afraid to download any of my 50+ apps to the phone for fear that it will crash.

There has been absolutely no physical or water damage.  The phone is in perfect condition--I've only had it for a little over two  weeks.  I took the phone to my local VZW store, but since I purchased the phone at Staples, they weren't able to help me at all.

I'll be going back to Staples to get it replaced later this week just to alleviate any fears of having a lemon phone.

0 Likes
JARED2181
Enthusiast - Level 2

hello....im having the same issue.  just got my s4 on thursday and does this about 10-15 times a day....no water liquid or physical damage ....using a  micro sd card and re formatted it and also changed it as well.  Any suggestions ...love the phone just not when it freezes for no apparent reason...need help plse !!!!!!!!

0 Likes
BigRedGonzo
Contributor - Level 1

This is a stupid suggestion, but I have seen it work before.  Make sure that the back cover is snapped in place all the way around the phone.  I got one on roll out day and my son liked it so much that when his update came due, he got one also.  He immediately started having this type of issue and brought me the phone to look at.  I poked through menus, did a factory reset and nothing worked.  I finally decided to do a batter/SIM card pull and when I went to remove the back cover, I noticed that it wasn't snapped all the way down.  I guess the rep at the VZW store just didn't get it all the way on.  I snapped down the cover and he hasn't had an issue since.

May not be your issue, but worth checking,

BigRedGonzo

0 Likes