Re: Samsung Gear S3 Watch Compatibility
jbposell
Enthusiast - Level 1

Wow, this is disappointing.  As AT&T's coverage has reached parity with VZW's over the years, I have considered switching (been a 4 line VZW customer for 15+ years), this may push me over the edge.

FallenIcarus
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yup...about time that I pay off my phone and switch to AT&T. I don't understand why this is even an issue. Even at the samsung website, it is either AT&T version or the bluetooth version. Thing is that the sim cards are embedded, so there is no way around this (such as ordering an "unlocked" version, or a bluetooth version that can later have a sim installed when verizon introduces support for the device). The whole situation is a joke, and there should be no reason that Verizon couldn't embed their sim card into the watch pre-release as AT&T has. The comparison between these two companies over the past 3 years isn't even close.

Marconium
Enthusiast - Level 1

@markp_vzw, I'm not threatening to quit Verizon over this, but the lack of clarity is an issue for me.  I'm currently in the midst of a 2 year contract on an older Gear S.  I liked the watch, but the plastic charging connection on the back of the watch broke last month and the watch can no longer be charged.  My contract runs until May 2017.  And the $5 a month service charge ends up actually being $9.04 / month after fees and taxes.

So, I'm in a position where I need to make a decision sooner than I'd like because I really don't want to pay ~$70 for a service that I can't use.  While I probably could send the Gear S to Samsung to have the back replaced, I'd really rather put that money toward a new 3G/LTE smart watch with a better charging configuration.

I've been eyeing the Gear S3 for a while now, waiting for news on when Verizon would carry it.  If I know that it's coming this month or next, then I will hold out for it.  Otherwise, I need to find something else - likely a used Gear S2 from another online site since Verizon hasn't had the S2 in stock for a long time.  I'm even willing to consider paying retail for what is effectively a year old (soon to be discontinued) device. Unfortunately, Verizon's current stance leaves me paying ~$70 over the next few months without an option to use the service that I'm paying for.  Furthermore, the lack of transparency makes it impossible to make an intelligent or informed decision.

As a long time customer who currently has 7 devices with Verizon, it does have an impact on how I feel about my relationship with the company.  So, while I may not quit over this particular issue, it will be remembered if an offer from another carrier comes along in the future with the right combination of coverage and price.

Right now, all I want is a viable option to use the service that I'm paying for and the information needed to make a reasonable decision.  Verizon appears unable or unwilling to provide either and that is frustrating.

jdrumm
Enthusiast - Level 3

Someone posted on an S3 discussion in Reddit's /r/verizon sub that they'd spoken with an in-store rep who told him the watch would be offered in time for Christmas. I personally haven't met an a corporate store rep that had any sort of "inside scoop," so I'll take their answers with a grain of salt

FallenIcarus
Enthusiast - Level 2

So, looks like it was announced today for T-mo for release on the 18th, coinciding with the global. really hoping verizon gets on this....t-mobile guys...come on

0 Likes
FallenIcarus
Enthusiast - Level 2

For $399 btw

0 Likes
CORLAB67
Enthusiast - Level 3

I read today that Verizon will offer the Gear S3 this month.

0 Likes
JVOL74
Enthusiast - Level 3

And Verizon is last to the party, no real sure what they're trying to prove here.  It sure isn't building any hype, only frustrating people.

0 Likes
Furious10
Enthusiast - Level 2

MarkP_VZW:

To answer your questions: I want the new technology, looks and features of new devices. I'm looking for the Gear S3 LTE Frontier...I love my Gear S2 and it works flawlessly. I just want to know if you are going to carry the Gear S3. Why is this a difficult question?

The Global launch is 11-18-2016. I would have thought Verizon might "get on the band wagon" and tell us about the S3. There is certainly a lot of interest in it and we loyal Verizon customers and Gear S2 users would like information. 

I don't want to leave a company that I have been loyal to for a long time, but some of the offers from AT&T are making it hard to stay. I have not upgraded my phone for this very reason.

jdrumm
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've done a bit of additional sleuthing based on some deductions I've made based on the LTE model numbers. I've posted my thoughts over in the other thread, found here.

TL,DR: There's hope