Samsung Gear S3 Watch Compatibility
HELTIT65
Enthusiast - Level 1

A family member is gifting me a Samsung Gear S3 Frontier watch.  I have a choice between 4GLTE and Bluetooth.  My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S6.  I've been told the phone is compatible but do I choose the 4GLTE or bluetooth version for the watch?  I'm totally not familiar with the difference so any help is appreciated.  I was going with the 4GLTE.  Help!

Re: Samsung Gear S3 Watch Compatibility
jdrumm
Enthusiast - Level 3

The LTE version also includes Bluetooth, so it should provide identical functionality. Samsung has stated that the LTE version will be available through major carriers, but Verizon has not announced a pre-order or availability date at this point (although both AT&T and T-Mobile have ... Verizon, get with the program!).

Because VZW hasn't said anything yet, though, you do run the risk of being unable to activate the LTE functionality if, for some reason, they elect not to carry the watch.

Which would make me sad Smiley Sad

0 Likes
jdrumm
Enthusiast - Level 3

I should also add that the Gear S3 LTE version supports just 2 of the 3 LTE bands that Verizon uses ... B2 and B4. However, Verizon's main band is B13 (700MHz), which would be a much better option for rural (i.e. longer range) use. B2 and B4 are primarily used in more densely populated areas.

0 Likes
katrinan_vzw
Verizon Employee

HELTIT65

That is an awesome gift. At this time the Samsung Gear S3 isn't in our lineup of smartwatches. However, we do recommend signing up for updates on new product launches here: http://vz.to/1VzW5J4

katrina_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

jdrumm
Enthusiast - Level 3

@katrinan_vzw,

While we very much appreciate your response in this thread, I feel it necessary to point out that most of the major tech news sites (Engadget, BGR, C-Net, ZDNet, various Android-related forums) have reported that VZW will be one of the carriers offering the Gear S3 Frontier's LTE version.

For those of us trying to decide on purchasing the Bluetooth version vs. waiting for the LTE version, Verizon's lack of information on this very desirable watch is aggravating. Isn't there something you can do to confirm or deny Verizon's offering of this product? I think for most of us the problem isn't so much "when," but "if." TMobile and AT&T have both officially confirmed that they're offering it, but VZW has officially said nothing.

Please?

Furious10
Enthusiast - Level 2

I agree with jdrumm...at the very least, let us know if you will be carrying the Samsung Gear S3. I "chatted" with a VZW rep. and was not able to get a definitive answer. I don't want the BT only as I have the 3G S2 and would upgrade.  If VZW is not going to carry the S3, I'm switching to AT&T.   Thanks.

markp_vzw
Verizon Employee

Furious10, we never want to lose a valued customer like you. We want to provide you with the products and services that you’re looking for. At the moment, the Gear S3 is not available with Verizon. What specific features are you looking for in a smartwatch? Are you having issues with your current Gear S2 watch?

MarkP_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
jdrumm
Enthusiast - Level 3

@markp_vzw, I might suggest you'll do a better job of keeping your customers when you actually answer their questions.

We KNOW the Gear S3 isn't available from Verizon. What we want to know is IF the Gear S3 WILL BE available from Verizon. And the bonus answer would be to actually tell us WHEN, but I suppose even that's probably asking too much.

It's a simple question. Asking us what features we want or find lacking with our current smart watches is entirely beside the point; we want the LTE version of the Gear S3 Frontier, and we want it to work on Verizon's network. We're trying to be loyal customers, you see, but you're making it difficult. Its feature set speaks for itself, and none of the other watches currently offered by Verizon has it.

cchrisgates
Enthusiast - Level 3

I was told by a store representative that the Gear S3 will not be available until early 2017!  AT&T is looking better and better.

JVOL74
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon is really acting strange with this product release.  Gear S3 debuted in August and now it's mid November and not a word from them.  It's almost as if they don't want to sell it.  I'm not really sure what to make of it, but if the rumors of early 2017 are true, I'll be heading for ATT rather quickly.  You would think Samsung would be pushing Verizon to get it on the market to cut into Apple's share of the market.