Re: Samsung Galaxy SIV - MMS issue
tbone704

Update:

So I downloaded Go SMS and it can send MMS fine. Factory app can't. Could be a coincidence. I don't know...

0 Likes
lynnmariep86

I, too am having the same problem and it only started about a month ago.  I shouldn't have to go into my settings and turn off wifi to be able to send a picture message at home!  That's NUTS!  I tried all the settings tweaks referred to in the previous posts but they didn't work.  Only turning wifi off and back on again.

Verizon Tech Support, are you guys forwarding all this to the Samsung people??  Whoever at Verizon that is monitoring this forum, could you please ask your supervisor to ask his or her supervisor to ask their supervisor to get the word out to Samsung?

Thanks!

0 Likes
lynnmariep86

Can't edit my previous post, but what the poster on page 11 or 12 said about going into the wifi settings and hitting the button on bottom DID work AFTER I rebooted my phone.  So he's got the right answer, you just have to REBOOT!

0 Likes
LA_Dizz
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok, so this seemed to work for me, and thanks to JMarks9282 for the solution.  Smiley HappySmiley HappySmiley Happy

It is true, MMS will not send over WiFi, on ANY carrier.  So, you just need to set up your phone so that it toggles between WiFi and Mobile Data.  Here is a step by step:

1. Make sure that the Mobile Data button is checked (in the settings section).
  2. Make sure that you're connected to LTE/CDMA (not Global) - also in the settings section under More Networks.
  3. REBOOT your phone. This does not mean just restarting it.  It means remove the battery WHILE the phone is ON. 
  4. Wait for a couple of minutes and pop the battery back in and RESTART it. 
  5. Go to Settings < WiFi < Then push the bottom left menu button next to (to the left of) your home button. This will bring up a menu with 5 options.
  6. Click Advanced.  The "Check for Internet Service" box NEEDS to be checked.  This setting allows for your phone to switch between WiFi and 4G automatically as needed.

I didn't have any issues sending MMS (group or pictures) immediately after doing this, but my boyfriend did. So, he rebooted his phone again after completing step 6, and it worked like a charm.  Hope this helps someone else!

0 Likes
shuatree

Thanks for the steps LA_Dizz!

Sadly, checking the "Check for Internet Service" box didn't resolve the issue for me... what it DID do was to let me know that the network was unavailable, even though I could browse the internet just fine.  I was weird.  I spent 35 minutes on the phone with Verizon tier 2 and 3 support and they finally located a ticket indicating this is an issue with the native Messaging app on the Samsung stock ROM.  The official Verizon recommendation appears to be to use a 3rd party SMS/MMS app.  Once I did this, I was able to shrink the send time from 7 minutes per picture to between 1-2 minutes per picture... This still seems like an eternity to me just to send a picture.

0 Likes
sharonmckinley
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had the same problem.  all I did was power down and take out the battery and reboot - works perfect now.

0 Likes
emel56

i have the same problem and done all the steps you have mentioned, i still have to turn my wifi off to send a message and its very annoying for a brand new phone??

0 Likes
jkm-abq

I got my Samsung Galaxy S4 less than a week ago and for the most part I am happy with it. However I do not like having to switch over to MMS to send or receive pictures. I don't like the idea of having to use data to see a picture. I think I will take this "Best Phone Ever" back and get my old phone back where I can send and receive pictures without having to do anything....Just another way of getting people to go over their data limits and have to pay more money. This is the first time in over 10 years that I do not like Verizon at all.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

jkm-abq wrote:

I got my Samsung Galaxy S4 less than a week ago and for the most part I am happy with it. However I do not like having to switch over to MMS to send or receive pictures. I don't like the idea of having to use data to see a picture. I think I will take this "Best Phone Ever" back and get my old phone back where I can send and receive pictures without having to do anything....Just another way of getting people to go over their data limits and have to pay more money. This is the first time in over 10 years that I do not like Verizon at all.

While a cellular connection is required to send/receive MMS, they don't count against your data plan ... they count against your text package.

0 Likes
BigRedGonzo
Contributor - Level 1

I have tried to follow all of the supposed solutions in this thread and none of them work.  One thing I find particularly interesting is that under Settings>WiFi>Advanced I have no option for "Check for Internet Connection."  I have the 4.3 update.  I have tried the stock Messaging app, Chomp SMS and Handcent and none of them will send MMS messages if WiFi is turned on.

I send a lot of Group Messages and this is really a pain to deal with.  I have to switch WiFi off each and every time I send one. My son has an S4 also and I checked this on his phone also with the same results.  SMS Texts go fine with WiFi on, but if WiFi is on the Messaging app will not access the VZW Network Data connection to send an MMS message.  It really would be nice to have a solution for this.

0 Likes