Re: Samsung Galaxy SIV - MMS issue
zzkittenzz
Enthusiast - Level 1

I previously had a HTC DNA. Due to my fault I dropped the phone and shattered the screen. Went through assurion and got a replacemnent the next day. Same issue with the replacement, but thus time due to case faulty. Was sent another, this time, like new device(not new) and being on the phone 5 minutes the screen and back goit VERY VERY HOT, was supposed to replace with a new one, but didn't. Finally called back spoke to Mgmt at assurion. They sent me the S4. I'm amazed with most features, however, same as everyone else(most) having issues with sending MMS. After reading all these posts, and replies via Verizon, whether the phone was free or we pay full price "WE S4 OWNERS" Should NOT have to do a reset. I just got this phone, and would like to know why the default that the S4 can not send over WiFi?? Just curious. For such a "GREAT" Phone, that is certainly a issue for majority of us! These should be directed to higher up. I contacted Samsung and was told they are looking into the issues. I have done everything I can think of and it is still giving issues. Vzw couldn't help, their only response is to a "hard reset" well from experience that doesn't always fix the issue. In fact it can cause more issues. When we purchase a phone we should have features available as stated. No where in the phamplet does it say u can not send MMS over WiFi. Unbelievable as to how unreliable some features are, and yet when we seek help no one can help. A update should be done. This is just my personal opionion. I take tons of pictures, and want too share them with friends and family. FIX ASAP!!!!!

Cyparisse

Just wanted to share this. I also was having trouble with the MMS messages not going through when my phone was set to WiFi. I Googled it, and here I am. I just did what another user suggested and ran my phone in Safe Mode. I tried a couple test MMS messages while on WiFi and in Safe Mode, and they went through just fine. When I restarted my phone after to get it out of Safe Mode, I again tried to do a couple MMS messages on WiFi, and they also went through without a hitch.

I don't know if this necessarily fixed the problem as I did not uninstall any of my apps, as that is a huge hassle. But for right now, it is working. I am not saying this will work for everyone either, as it seems like it is a glitch no matter what as some are experiencing the issue right out of the box. But it may work for some of you. It is worth a try. And again, I just did it about an hour ago, so we will see how long until the problem resurfaces. I can keep you all updated.

0 Likes
eclay42

Hi Everyone,

I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 and am experiencing this issue as well. After messing around with the network mode and restarting the phone it suddenly decided to receive the message when I toggled wifi.

FYI, this is an issue with android in general. My old phone (motorola droid 3) had this exact same issue and if you do a google search pretty much every android phone on every carrier has this problem. It's an intermittent issue and doesn't affect everyone and seems to randomly resolve itself only to show up again later. This appears to be a problem with the android network stack since I've tried using several different messaging programs with the same results. It might be just me, but it seems to mostly appear when I receive a group mms from someone with an iPhone (granted that's the only time I ever get mms messages so I don't know how it behaves when it receives a message from another android phone).

For any Verizon representatives monitoring this forum, please push this up to someone who can talk to the handset manufacturers and Google to fix this longstanding issue in android. Let them know that a longstanding bug like this with such a basic feature only makes their products look bad, especially considering how dumbphones had this feature for years before smartphones came out.

0 Likes
281Verizon

Hi, all. Was having this same issue and I noticed that those on the forum who were on "global" network mode vs "lte/cdma" weren't having the issue.

I switched to global data mode and restarted phone. The issue has been resolved...for now....keeping fingers crossed.

Go to "settings -> (connections tab) more networks -> mobile networks -> network mode -> global" and then try do a restart.

Hope this helps.

0 Likes
daled099
Enthusiast - Level 1

Switching to Global Network Mode, toggling the Wi-Fi on and off, restarting the phone? What is this a Nintendo game? What do I have to do next? Take out the battery and blow on it then put it back in? Nothing proposed seems to work here. This is quite an issue you have on your hands here VZW. Please advise.

0 Likes
DrunkyMcBay

You (99% of the time) can not send a picture message or a message to multiple people unless you toggle the WIFI off.  It has been that way for my Nexus and my S4.  My two cubemates have the S3 and they have to as well. It is a known issue.  I hate that the companies involved act like there are solutions in the phone settings, resets, or worse sell you a network extender (really what is the point of the big red map if I need a boost to make a call if I am 2 miles from a tower) etc. when everyone from droidlife to XDA know it is a bug they won't fix.  Seems like every issue I have had with my Samsungs are news to verizon despite pages of complaints on their own website.  I am getting tired of it.

0 Likes
jayhen12

I got my Galaxy 4s phone on the release date and I have never been able to send mms messages with my wifi turned on (even with my 4g data turned on as well) and I would always have to turn off wifi to send group messages. I was fed up with it today and searched Google to find this forum. If your problem sounds similar to mine I may have an easy fix that was previously mentioned.

All I did was I restarted my phone and entered "safe mode" and once I restarted my phone again I could send mms messages without having to toggle out of wifi.

To do this all you need to do is power down your phone and when powering your phone back up you need to tap the touch screen button left of the home button (the clickable button at the bottom of your phone) while your phone is booting up. This will start your phone in safe mode (you will know if you're in safe mode if it says it on the bottom left screen) and after you see the text all you need to do is power back down your phone and start it back up normally.

After doing this I was able to send mms texts without having to turn my wifi off.

Hope my instructions are clear enough so everyone searching this problem will be able to fix it by themselves without having to make a trip to the Verizon store!

Kinda a pain that you have to do this but at least it's fixable without having to get a new phone!!

Good luck and cheers!!!

0 Likes
anthony4993
Enthusiast - Level 1

All,

This is part of a greater issue.

As the verizon reps on this forum have told you, mms messages must go through the mobile network (4g, 3G, etc) not wifi.

I had been wondering why, for example, when I was connected to wifi, but had weak signal I could not browse websites...certainly my 4g would kick in...not the case.

For example, I'd walk out of my condo, into my car and try and use google maps to go somewhere. Well, I had like one bar on wifi, but that's too weak to accomplish anything. So instead of the galaxy 4 realizing this and using 4g as backup, it does not recognize the two at the same time. I believe this is why there always issues with mms and that only solution is to restart.

Another example: when i go to work and want wifi I have to login to a public connection. It will recognize connection but for the connection to allow wifi data transmission I must login with my work username and pass. Well, if I do not login, the phone shows the wifi signal with a ?  Make sense. However, again, the s4 does not recognize that I am not truly connected to wifi and it does not default to 4g. So thus, I can't receive email or mms again because the phone is still waiting for wifi to work instead if using 4g as backup, much like the iPhone, my previous phone, did so flawlessly.

I am beginning to think switching from iPhone was dumb.

How people like us, many, have this issue, and someone like me figures out the problem, yet no one from verizon or Samsung have a solution is amazing. They have no problem locking you in to a two year contract for a 700 dollar phone, but when a major bug like this happens their solution is to blame it on a 3rd party app, or ask you for a zip code.

It's a bug with the phone. Fix it! Surely enough people are having the problem where it could be recreated. If you all truly cared it would have been fixed by now in a software update. But you're content cause you get full payments from us every month. 

Sad.

goldenlover1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am also experiencing the same problem.  The only thing that worked was shutting off the Wifi. I paid a lot for this service,  it needs to be resolved. This is a brand new phone.

0 Likes
Jesito473

I am also having the same issue, it's the second time it happens.

0 Likes