Samsung Galaxy S7 battery drain after System Update 30
ggsnewton

Last Friday I installed update G930VVRUACSF2.  Since that time I have noticed that:

• My phone seems to get extremely hot when it is actively being used for a period of time.
  • The battery life is terrible.  Previously, with a fully charged battery I could go into the evening with at least 50% - 60% of battery remaining.  Now, I'm lucky if I have 50% left by early afternoon.

Other than this update, nothing has changed. I have not added/activated any new apps, increased usage of my phone, etc. I would happily uninstall this update if that were a possibility.

What can be done to address this issue?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Samsung Galaxy S7 battery drain after System Update 30
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We are sorry to read that you are having issues with the battery on your device after the update. What do the battery usage stats show on your device? You can find this by going into Settings, then Device Maintenance, then tapping on the Battery icon on the bottom. On the next screen tap on Battery Usage. This will give you information on what apps and services are using the most battery. Let us know what apps and services are using more battery.

PedroM_VZW

0 Likes
ggsnewton

The battery usage is minimal - there were 5 apps, with the highest usage being .02%  There is no background app that is draining the battery.

Even with minimal use, the battery quickly drains and the phone itself heats up.  As a test, I went into my email inbox and simply scrolled through the view, selecting emails to delete.  After less than 10 minutes, the battery went down by 10% and the phone got increasingly hot in my hand. Within 15 minutes, (with no additional use on my part), the battery drained another 6%, and continued to heat up.

This is not normal.  I have had this phone for over two years, and never had these issues until last week's update. The combination of the battery drain plus the phone heating up have almost rendered the phone unusable for anything more than a few minutes at a time.

There is no doubt that update 30 has caused these issues. I need Verizon to provide a solution.

0 Likes
DeWisp77

I have been having the same issue since update 30 on my Galaxy S7.

To check what is pulling my battery down I charged it up to full and let it sit idle for 2 hours.

After 2 hours the phone has gone from 100% to 80% battery.  The recent batter use in those to hours was 13% Android OS, 4% Android System, 1% phone idle and 1% cell stand by.

Of note, I have found that if I turn off my Wifi the battery drain goes back to normal (lasting a couple of days).  Not sure if that helps.

If I can check anything else please let me know.

Thanks

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We definitely appreciate the additional details, ggsnewton. I assure you that we're in the best disposition to help find a lasting solution to the battery and overheating issues you're experiencing on your GS7. What happens when you place your device in Safe Mode? To find out how to place your device in Safe Mode, please click here: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-203892/ Also, to be sure, are all of your apps up to date in the Play Store?

LauraF_VZW

0 Likes
ggsnewton

Thanks for your feedback.

I decided to try draining the battery and letting the phone die.  This seems to have made a difference (at least, for now).  Maybe this will work for you as well.

0 Likes
ggsnewton

All of my apps are up to date.

Please see my other update in this thread.  If anything changes, I will post a new update.

0 Likes
yman1437

Does anyone else has this battery issue? The problem seems to start after I received update 30 (g935vvruacsf2)

I tried putting device into safe mode, same battery drain.

Any idea??

0 Likes
Malibu1005

It happens after EVERY update.  I dread getting the update notification, and I wait until I get tired of seeing it.  I have performed every suggestion given, every time.  It's an issue with the updates themselves.

0 Likes