Samsung Galaxy S7 Overheating and Battery Drain / warranty
Ninjiggilo
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've had my S7 for less than a year now and my phone will overheat during normal use (i.e. no video, music, games, or heavy apps).

It will fully charge to 100% and after 10 minutes of use it will be at 60% and if it reaches below 40% battery, the phone will shut off and the battery will be effectively drained. Is there a warranty for battery exchange or warranty for defective and/or overheating? Obviously this is a concern because even when it's not in use it will sometimes overheat. One occasion is when it is placed under something or in a pocket. No recently added apps, and it is frequently turned off, whether by overheating or manually.

Thank You

Re: Samsung Galaxy S7 Overheating and Battery Drain / warranty
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Ninjiggilo,

I definitely understand how having an S7 that drains quickly, shuts down at 40% and overheating can be a concern. Allow us to troubleshoot your issues. In regard to your safety, what message are you receiving when your device overheats? Describe to me what happens (uncomfortable, odor, etc...) when your device overheats. When did you start having issues with your battery? What is your current software version? I'd like for you to perform a device health check by following these steps http://vz.to/2b9FmqQ. Please advise us of any alerting (red) icons.

CoreyM_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

When you check the battery what is it saying that is using most of the power? Is it the android OS, android system?

Ninjiggilo
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi,

When the battery overheats it simply shuts itself off and when trying to

turn the phone back on, I receive the dead battery image. The one with the

cable and outlet. I have attached two images. One of the software version

and the other of phone usage. I haven't used the phone much today. The

device check-up link you provided does not work. But through the Verizon

app I performed a diagnosis check-up. All was found to be in good working

order.

Thank you

Tory [removed]

Personal content removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service​.

Message edited by Verizon Moderator.

Ninjiggilo
Enthusiast - Level 2

Here again is one example of battery usage. This one a little more clear of

what I'm dealing with

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you had an image attached, it isn't here. You need to post images directly to the thread on the website and can't send them as a reply via email.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

kathy65793
Master - Level 1

Have you cleared the cache partition in the recovery mode lately?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Ninjiggilo,

A dead phone when you should have that much battery left is a major concern. I want to make sure we get this back to working so you can count on your service. The images didn't post but what was showing as using the most battery? Was the software showing up to date? Are all of your apps on the phone up to date?

AndrewT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the ?Correct Answer? button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
Ninjiggilo
Enthusiast - Level 2

Here is the battery usage screen. I apologize about the delay. This doesn't quite do it justice because the phone will shut down at any percentage under 70 if it's too warm. The battery percent will also drain dramatically if I use any app for longer than 10min. Including using spotify with the screen turned off. The phone did that this morning. Shut itself off at 40% when I used spotify to listen to music for 15 min this morning and then afterward I went to check a message and it shut down.

Do you think that doing a factory reset would fix the battery issue? Cuz the way it feels; the battery is overused. As if the ions are depleted. I ask because this whole thing just feels like the battery is having the worst time of it's life.This wouldn't be an issue but I can't manually replace the battery - nor can you take it in with a S7.

Thank youScreenshot_20171218-102607.png

Ninjiggilo
Enthusiast - Level 2

No I haven't tried starting it in recovery. That's a good option to try I suppose. I would like to mention that the phone is in battery saver mode because otherwise the phone wouldn't last more than a few hours.