Samsung Galaxy S6 freezes, powers on and off
BGcell
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've never had any problems with my Samsung Galaxy S6 phone.  However, today, it started freezing up and powering on and off.  Safe mode did not help.  I finally did a factory reset which took a while because the phone was freezing during this process.  I finally got the factory reset to work and after a few hours, the same problems returned. I'm using the phone in safe mode now.  Any ideas about what could be the problem, especially after a factory reset?  Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
Re: Samsung Galaxy S6 freezes, powers on and off
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello BGcell,

I would be concerned too if this were happening to my device. You have completed some great troubleshooting so far. When you performed your factory reset, did you restore all of your previous applications? Have you installed any new applications recently?

ChristopherM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
BGcell
Enthusiast - Level 2

After the reset it worked for a while. I did get rid of lots of applications.  The same thing started to happen again with the freezes and now I can't even get it to reset.  It freezes when I try to do a factory reset.  I guess this means this phone has come to the end of its life if it won't reset?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

BGcell, we want to bring life back to that device. Does it have any physical or liquid damage? What steps are you taking to factory reset it?

LasinaH_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
JOHNNC

I have exactly the same problem. The phone has never been dropped or damaged in any way and no water has ever touched it. I have done every diagnostic test you have on the Verizon site including the Samsung Upgrade/Repair Assistant which did a factory reset as part of its analysis. I even wipe the partition cache. We are at a loss as to how to fix this $600 paperweight.

0 Likes
JOHNNC

One more thing. I have already removed ALL apps that didn't come with the phone.

0 Likes
BGcell
Enthusiast - Level 2

There was no physical or water damage to the phone at all.  The problems started randomly. To reset the phone, I pressed the power and volume down buttons to get to the menu. I couldn't get the phone to reset because it kept freezing. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm sorry to hear this has been occuringJohnnC. Let's review this and see what our next step will be. What's the software version on the device? When did this start?

JoeL_VZW

0 Likes
JOHNNC

I'm not sure what software you might be referring to. Android version is 6.0.1. Kernel is 3.10.61. Latest update from Verizon is G920VVRS4CPL3 updated today. Previous was G920VVRS4CQA3 updated on 1/29. This started right after an update around December - not sure what the number was. It wasn't too bad but has gotten progressively worse. A few days ago the phone wouldn't stay on for more than a few minutes (or the screen was black and it was frozen). I have wiped the partition, reset to factory specs, recalibrated the battery and done everything else I was able to find here and on the internet. It is somewhat better after all that. It has only frozen twice today but it's just sitting on the counter now plugged in to the charger. Even just sitting there - when we periodically check it has frozen or shut off twice.

0 Likes
JOHNNC

As I said previously, I have done a factory reset. There are no apps on the device except those that get put on by verizon during the factory reset. It locked twice this morning and it's only 8:30 AM.

0 Likes