Re: Samsung Galaxy S6 (SM-G920V) system update 7/24/18
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Please let us know if this works for you, ejimbob

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/samsung-update-upgrade-assistant/

Tamara_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
ejimbob
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for your time. The link got the unexpected error again. Stranger things can happen than my battery going bad the same time as the update. It is possible. Running in safe mode at max power savings does help. Gives me two days at least. I don’t use my phone much. Who knows, maybe the next update will change it again or I will eventually have to get another phone.

tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The link works for me:

Samsung Software Upgrade Assistant | Verizon Wireless

Are you trying to access it via the forum?  If trying to access it via an e-mail notice of the post, that's probably why you're encountering an error.

0 Likes
ejimbob
Enthusiast - Level 2

You were correct. I was just using the link. When I opened the chat and then did the link it worked. It wiped out some of my personal system settings when I ran it, but I put it up to 100% charge and have put it on Max power saving to see how long I can go. I have not put it in safe mode. System shows I am at version: NRD90M.G920VVRU4DRE1

Maybe it needs to learn again, but it is saying on max power save I only have 24 hours. We will see.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We appreciate your efforts, ejimbob. I noticed you have completed a few steps to troubleshoot the device. Please let us know how the battery life is performing. 

Danielle_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
ejimbob
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks, but the update fix does not appear to have helped. Realize it takes days to really prove how long the battery actually lasts. I am replying now, because I know you want to get an idea if this helped. I have been using my phone a bit more, trying to get it back to the way it was. The alarms, photos, music files, apps, screen layout and some passwords were stored and restored after the fix. However, it really messed with my notifications, Bluetooth, security settings, and personal assignments of tones. So I have been trying to get stuff to work the way I want. I just got the major stuff, so I don’t drain my battery.

Now it looks like I am only getting one and a half days on max power savings. I have not put it in safe mode and max power savings, to see if I can get it back to at least two days before a recharge. I was really hoping this battery would last more than a few years with only having to charge it about once a week. I cannot image normally users hardly even lasting a day. I guess an external battery pack is the option. I have seen more users going to that. With my low usage, I will probably be ok with just having to charge it every night like a normal user. Just wanted to let people know what happened in case there were other users with the issue popping up more. May be something with my old battery. I have had it a few years. However, I only charged it about once a week.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

ejimbob, It can take a few days for the phone to optimize after a software update. I see you mentioned you haven’t put the phone in Safe Mode and Max Power Saving, please try to do that. Also, can you please run a device health check http://spr.ly/6586D0NhC

Tionna_VZW

0 Likes
ejimbob
Enthusiast - Level 2

Even on Max power saving mode and Safe mode turned on I am still only getting
about two and a half days.  If I don’t have the safe mode on, I cannot
always make it two days on max power saving.  So none of the suggestions
have helped. 

Just a note about the upgrade assistant.  It restores some things, so it
is better than a total factory reset, but you will still need to reset a lot of
your personal preferences and apps, so I would not recommend running it unless
you are prepared for factory reset of your phone.  It is not as bad as
that, but can feel that way if you have a lot of apps and personal
setting.  I don’t have a great deal of apps, but most of them had to be
reset.

If I am not using max power save and safe mode, I am like most users and have
to charge each night.  I can make it a day, but I don’t use my phone much.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Ejimbob, we do appreciate all of the details that you have provided as well as steps taken. We know that 2 days is not nearly what you were hoping for. Over time, batteries that are charged repeatedly will start to wear down. As this device does not have a replaceable battery, you may wish to contact the manufacturer for a repair/replacement option. Frequently, they offer options to send in the device for a factory battery replacement.

Loren_VZW

0 Likes
joshjay

On my Galaxy S6, I noticed I started getting better battery life after changing Internet Service Providers (ISP).

Reason:   I had to use my own router with the new ISP.  My router only supports only 2.5GHZ WiFi.   The old ISP modem had WiFi built-in, which supported 2.5GHZ and 5GHZ WiFi.

The Verizon Galaxy S6 supports 2.5GHZ and 5GHZ WiFi, and defaults to 5GHZ WiFi when available.

The 5GHZ WiFi is more of a power drain on the Galaxy S6, as the phone runs hotter when using 5GHZ WiFi.

Try leaving your WiFi off for a few days.  Use only Mobile Data for a few days.  See if that affects battery life.

Hope this helps!

0 Likes