Samsung Galaxy S6 (SM-G920V) system update 7/24/18
ejimbob
Enthusiast - Level 2

Got the system update 7/24/18  version: G920VVRU4DRE1.  Supposed to be
performance updates.  I am an IT tech.  I use a laptop mainly.   My company gives me this phone for IM and
Mail.  I use the Verizon apps.  I have been using ultra power saving mode for a couple of years.  No network background apps, no WI-FI, no biometrics.  Speed limiter and low light.  I only use about .3 gig of data a month.  I could usually go 5 days without charging the battery with the ultra-power on.  Now I am down to two days with this new update.  Just thought I would let Verizon and Samsung know that the update did not help battery performance.  I am about as pure minimal as you can get.  Someone missed testing battery consumption with whatever has been done.  Especially if someone chooses Maximum power saving mode, to get more battery life.  There is nothing to clean up on my phone, so not sure what the performance update is. Just battery performance drain.  I did not see any specific topic where this appeared to fit, so I put it here.  Guess the question is, has anyone else noticed it and thought it was just some app on your phone draining more after the update?   My thought is that Samsung and Verizon need to look at reducing the battery drain. 

Re: Samsung Galaxy S6 (SM-G920V) system update 7/24/18
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

I hope samsung is not doing what was done to the iphones. When you go into the battery usage what does it say in there that is using up the battery? Is it the android system or the android os?

0 Likes
ejimbob
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just got it to 100% about 7 hours ago. I am down to 80% I was on Max power saving mode. Shows 7% usage by Android System, 8% phone idle, 1% screen, 1% Cell Standby

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

You have been a great partner to work with and we want to see you get the most out of your device. Are you still using the original charger with the device? I would suggest starting the phone in Safe Mode to see if the same battery drain occurs. https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-152233/  

Yale_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
ejimbob
Enthusiast - Level 2

This did not answer my question.

• No, I have tried several different chargers (because it is draining on me all the time now-used to use the same one once a week at night). However, I mainly use a standard cable and charge at the slow rate. I don’t like the battery getting hot. The phone says it charges to 100%. I have not had to wear the battery down much since I purchased it, because I have only had to charge it once a week after it goes down to about 5% left.

• I have not installed anything new before the update. I don’t use apps much. I run in power save mode with only the allowed standard apps on the max power saving screen.

• I did the max power saving and safe mode at the same time. No WI-FI. Same as I always have done (except with safe mode on this time) and no difference with safe mode on. The phone is still using more power than before the update. I could go at least 5 days without charging. Right after the update I could only go 2 days before needing to recharge.

• No change in safe mode. Still draining. I did remove a mail app my company uses that I was trying, but no difference. It did not run in the power saving max mode anyway.

• Would be nice if they would at least turn off the new performance power draining improvements when you choose to run max power saving.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello ejimbob, 

Thanks so much for the additional information. I'm sorry to see that you're having trouble with your battery, since updating the device. I'd like to clarify some information. You mentioned that you experienced no change when in Safe Mode. How long does the battery last when at 100%? Is there any liquid or physical damage to your device?

Christina_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

Something does not sound right with the android system for that amount of time and that much used.Verizon has a program that is supposed to be able to tell if the phone has been updated correctly and if you can get it to work like it is supposed to it maybe able to fix this problem. I have had some luck with this program but I have read on here where some people have had problems getting it to work.

Repair Assistant - Software Upgrade Assistant (Samsung) | Verizon Wireless

Also after you get done try clearing the cache partition in recovery mode. This clears out all the old files from the phone which if you never have done this could be a lot and could be the reason the android system is working over time.

Volume up-power-home will get you into recovery mode

Then use the volume down to highlight clear cache partition

then press the power button use the volume down again to say yes

and press the power button again.

This will not reset the phone it just clears up a lot of room on the phone of old files that the just clearing the cache from the phone under storage doesn't get.

0 Likes
ejimbob
Enthusiast - Level 2

The phone has not been exposed to water or dropped, so no physical damage.

When I run the phone in safe mode in maximum power saving mode I dropped 28 percent power from 100 percent for a 20 hour period. I had one phone call for 5 minutes. So that gives me just about 3 days’ worth of power in safe mode now with max power saving turned on and safe mode. Like I said, I used to get at least 5 days or more without safe mode. This started happening right after the update. I had not installed any new apps or damaged my phone in any way. Running in max power saving mode I only have access to a few standard phone apps anyway. Safe mode should not be making any difference, but it appears to have. Something changed with the performance update that is affecting the phone even in max power saving mode with limited apps. The battery charges in the same time frame, just have to charge it more often, which will wear down the battery more making the reserve time less and less.

I have cleared my cache partition, but the link given for the repair assistant gives an error “An unexpected error has occurred”. I get the error from my phone and my desktop computer. I did not get any type of error when the update ran, but I am willing to look at the repair assistant, if I can get to it and it won’t damage my phone.

ejimbob
Enthusiast - Level 2

An update. In max power saving and Safe mode on, I basically have made it two days. At two days exactly, with a morning wake up alarm each day and two calls for about 3 minutes each I am now at 12% power remaining. It is telling me I should plug it in again.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We appreciate you trying the steps recommended by kathy65793. Let's try the Repair Assistant link again 

http://spr.ly/6580DL56C

Please let us know if that works for you, ejimbob. 

Tamara_VZW

0 Likes