Samsung Galaxy S5 frustrating Software issue
JMAT3713
Enthusiast - Level 1

So I have owned a Galaxy S5 for about a year and a half now, and over the course of that time I have noticed a very gradual decline of my phone's overall software quality with how it runs and handles processes, which I assume is fairly normal and the phone still did what I needed it to do, so it was fine. Then the battery started dying at around 30 percent. Dropping from a full charge to 40 percent in only a couple hours without any use and then proceeding to die anywhere between 0 and 40 percent. Which again, I was fine with because when the phone was on, it still did what I needed it to do.

However, yesterday when I took out my phone, it did the glorious ol' dying and 38% thing again, and I went and put it on the charger and booted it back up. This is when things went downhill. Once the phone had booted, I noticed it was taking ridiculously slow to do even the simplest of things, such as opening up an app, message, etc. I went to play a Youtube video and it refused to play it. Just loading and reloading and reloading the video over and over and not actually playing it. Then Youtube crashes. I go into my music player and start playing a song. "Media file not supported". Although that media file is an mp3, and has been working flawlessly for the past year and a half. This is when I noticed that my plugged in headphones werent even showing up in the notification panel. As though it wasn't even recognizing that there was a device plugged into the headphone jack. I figured maybe that was the issue, that it was just the headphone jack acting wonky. So i unplugged the headphones and the problem persist.

Yet this is when i also discovered, NONE OF THE SYSTEM SOUNDS WERE PLAYING. Headphones and without headphones, my phone was stuck on silent, even though it clearly showed the volume bar moving up and down. So i quickly checked to see if i could still make phone calls. AND SURPRISE!!!! The phone crashes when i try to make a phone call. Even voicemails, the phone says media file not supported and then crashes after several attempts to play the voicemail. THIS IS NOT OKAY.

What the [Removed] is going on with my phone? I tried reinstalling the software, i tried rebooting under many different circumstances, such as SD card in, SD card out, headphones plugged in, headphones not plugged in, charging, not charging, booting into safe mode, recovery mode, cleared the cache partitions, and I even have factory reset my phone twice now, once from within the system settings, and again from recovery mode. NONE OF THIS HAS WORKED. And now whenever my phone boots up, i get a very exciting "Unfortunately, system UI is not responding" as well as "Google tv and google play [Removed] whatever is not responding".

I am not able to currently get a new phone anytime relatively soon, so all i am asking is what the [Removed] happened to my phone in a matter of literally 5 minutes and how the [Removed] can i fix it?

inappropriate content removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 frustrating Software issue
JMAT3713
Enthusiast - Level 1

Also, I have not downloaded any apps or anything as of recently that would have caused this. As a matter of fact, I haven't downloaded any apps in probably over a month, and the last System update i had was months ago as well. So I have literally no clue what the root of this problem could be.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JMAT3713,

Oh my. It sounds as if you have been through a lot with your phone. We want to make sure we turn this experience around. You have done many great troubleshooting steps. I have sent you a Private Message. Please reply via this method. I am confident we can get to the bottom of this.

RobinD_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JMAT3713,

We understand how important it is to have a working device. We are truly sorry of the experience you are having with your current phone and we want to make sure we are able to find you the best resolution. We appreciate all the efforts and steps you have taken to try to resolve this matter with your device. We currently are not showing that there is a known issue with your device software. With the concerns of your battery draining early on, can you let us know if you are still using the original charger that came with your device? Also, have you been able to run a device health check on your device? Please follow this link for steps on the health check and share your results http://vz.to/2qgP5Vg.

SylviaT_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
JMAT3713
Enthusiast - Level 1

Unfortunately, I had decided that if all that I had already done couldn't

solve it, that my phone was beyond repair. Or even if there were a

solution, it would have just bought the phone another month or so. So I

went to my nearest Verizon store and simply got a new phone. I understand

that phones have a very finite lifespan typically of around that two year

time-span, but what frustrated me more than anything is that i only had the

phone for around a year and a half. If I had not been eligible for an

upgrade, I would have been [Removed]! However, I switched back to LG which

I've always found to have more reliable phones, and hopefully won't have

the same issue again. Thank you for your help and reaching out to me for

more possible solutions.

inappropriate content removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service 

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JMAT3713,

Thank you for keeping us up to date on what was going on. I am excited to see that you were able to get another phone. We certianly did not want you to have to deal with the troubles much longer. Which LG device did you go with?

NicoleT_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes