Re: Re: Re: Samsung Galaxy S4 update
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello michellelovett67, a working phone is super important! How long does the battery last from 100% down to 0%? Is there any physical or water damage on the charging port of the phone? Have you tried a separate charger to see if the device will charge while powered on? Keep us posted!

WiltonA_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Re: Samsung Galaxy S4 update
BigRedGonzo
Contributor - Level 1

Michellelovette,

I read several of these forums every day and "widespread" is certainly not a term that I would use to describe this problem.  I have seen it mentioned 2, maybe 3 times since the update.  When you have a device with as many features as the S4 and a pool of over 10000 apps that can be installed, sometimes its easy for thing to get scrambled up and misbehave when an update rolls out.  I can assure you that between Samsung and Verizon, the update was thoroughly tested.

Anyway... in all of the cases that I have seen the charging/overheating issue, a factory reset fixed the issue.  Give that a try.  The factory should be done from the Recovery Menu.  If you need help, let us know.

BigRedGonzo

0 Likes
profosu
Enthusiast - Level 1

Well add me to the overheating probl=m. And I don't have that many apps. So please explain factory reset for me and others.

mreine
Enthusiast - Level 1

Since nc5 update, I get over heating phone and cooling diwn message as well as maybe 2 hour battery life.  My S4 is useless now.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That's definitely a problem that needs to be investigated profosu! Please take your device and any applicable chargers to a store location. This type of concern needs a hands on evaluation. http://bit.ly/3SdsA

JonathanK_VZW
VZWSupport
Follow Us on Twitter@VZWSupport

0 Likes
BigRedGonzo
Contributor - Level 1

Those of you that would like to try a Factory Data Reset the steps are listed below.  Be aware that doing this will set your phone back to an "out of the box" condition.  If you have data that needs to be saved, please back it up before you try this.  All of your apps will disappear also, but after setting your Google Account back up, they should come back.  I typically have about 60 installed apps on my phone and if I do an FDR, and Google usually gets all but one or two back on there for me.  You will also have to set your apps back up.  All that being said, to perform the FDR please do the following:  (Make sure your batter is charged or you are plugged in.  Also make sure you have 30 min to do this.)

1.     Power off your device

2.     Press and hold the Volume Up Key and the Home Key, do not release

3.     Press and hold the Power Key

4.     When the phone vibrates, you can release the Power Key, but continue to hold the others

5.    When the tiny blue text appears in the upper left hand corner of the screen, you can release the other buttons

6.    Allow the phone to finish booting

7.    You will use the Volume Up and Volume Down keys to navigate up and down through the menu

8.    You will use the Power Key to select a menu item

9.    Navigate to the wipe cache option and select it.  Confirm you choice (if asked)

10.   Navigate to the wipe data / factory reset option and select it.  Navigate down to Yes and select it

11.   This will sound stupid, but people much smarter than I say to do this.  Repeat 9 and 10 two more times

12.   Select the reboot device option and do not touch the phone again for 15 minutes (from same folks as above)

13.   Set phone up like you did when you first got it.

14.   After getting through the entire set up routine, allow an hour for google to download everything

I truly hope this helps.  I have seen it help multiple folks.  Also, if you were to take the phone to the store, they would do the same process.

BigRedGonzo

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Mreine,

That's not good! Software updates are supposed to make the device better. I am sorry to hear that this did not happen. Are you using the manufacturer wall  & car charger for the S4? Has there been any liquid or physical damage to the device? Try placing the device in safe mode to see if the device improves http://vz.to/SWX4Fx .

Thanks,
PamelaF_VZW
Tweet us @vzwsupport

0 Likes
brighteyes610
Enthusiast - Level 3

what kind of crappy comeback to that! VERIZON SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF THEMSELVES.I AM SO DISGUSTED WITH THE CUSTOMER SERVICE AND VERIZON ALWAYS TRYING TO BLAME THE PROBLEM ON THE OVER CHARGED RIPPED OFF CUSTOMERS.THE LAST UPDATE ON MY OLD S3 WAS NOTHING BUT A WAY FOR VERIZON/SAMSUNG TO MESS UP THE DEVICE SO THAT THE DATA USAGE IS OUT OF CONTROL.AND HAD THE NERVE TO CHARGE ME FOR EXTRA USAGE.MY NEW S4 IS ALSO NOT WORKING RIGHT.GO FIGURE.AND SURPRISINGLY ENOUGH..THERE IS AN UPDATE ALREADY.WHY IS THAT?? FOR WHAT REASON DO I NEED TO UPDATE MY DEVICE. VERY DISGUSTED WITH THE FRAUD GOING ON WITH THE DATA ISSUE.I AM ALWAYS CONNECTED TO WIFI AND FOR SOME CRAZY UNEXPLAINABLE REASON..NOONE CAN SEEM TO ANSWER.CUSTOMERS NEED TO REALLY LET THESE ISSUES BE HEARD!! NOT TO MENTION I WAS LIED TO PRIOR TO UPGRADING THAT MY PLAN WOULD ONLY BE 60.00 TOTAL A MONTH.MY BILL HASNT LOWERED AT ALL.NOR IS VERIZON DOING ANY FAVORS WITH THE PROMOTIONAL 1GB.I ALREADY HAVE BEEN EXPERIENCING PROBLEMS WITH MY S4.GETS STUCK.FLASHING BLACK SCREEN.SLOW.CHROME NOT STAYING SYNCED.AND THE CALL QUALITY SUCKS.EVERYONE SAYS THEY CANT UNDERSTAND ME AND IM BREAKING UP.ThiS is WHAT IM PAYING OVER 100.00 A MONTH FOR? AND WHEN MY PHONE WAS STOLEN I COULDNT EVEN ACCESS MY CLOUD.HAD NONE OF THE IMPORTANT THINGS LIKE CONTACTS FOR ALMOST A WEEK.AND WHY IS IT THAT I TURN OFF APPS AND THEY TURN THEMSELVES BACK ON.AND FYI VERIZON CUSTOMERS: THE CALLER ID YOU ARE PAYING 2.99 A MONTH FOR IS NOTHING BUT ANOTHER RIP OFF.IT ONLY RUNS ON THEIR DATA.DOES NOT WORK ON WIFI.WASNT AWARE OF THIS UNTIL LAST WEEK WHEN I READ THE SLIPPED IN INFO ON THE APP.AND WHERE IS THE APP??

0 Likes
brighteyes610
Enthusiast - Level 3

big mistake

0 Likes
Re: Re: Re: Samsung Galaxy S4 update
brighteyes610
Enthusiast - Level 3

keep an eye on your data..when I updated my old s3 it messed up my data usage on my phone.

0 Likes