Samsung Galaxy S4 update
MudBone827
Enthusiast - Level 3

Very early this morning, 4/27/2014 @ 1:18am I docked my Samsung Galaxy S4 to my PC and recieved notice that a software update was available, so, went into my settings to start the update, once the update was finished I checked new version showing as; update_SCH-I545_MK2_to_NC5(is this the new KitKat update?). Before this update it wouldn't connect to 4GLTE, after update my 4G is now working, BUT, now when I dock my phone to my PC I get a notice that "Your device's current firmware version is not supported to update firmware.", is this something I should be concerned about, did they screw my phone up with this update.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Samsung Galaxy S4 update
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader
0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader
0 Likes
MudBone827
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you, now I need to find out info on the rest of my question, because, as it is according to message my phone is no longer updateable.

0 Likes
MudBone827
Enthusiast - Level 3

Here are two screenshots of problem since this update;

VerizonUpdate.jpg

VerizonUpdate2.jpg

Verizon, PLEASE address this, I really like this phone and really don't want to dump you guys.

0 Likes
MudBone827
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just tried to address this by running the Software Upgrade Assistant and still no go, this is what I get when I run it;

VerizonUpdate3.jpg

So, what is going on Verizon?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Mudbone827,

Yikes! Let's make sure we don't have anything to worry about! Was the update to NC5 completed? If so, and the phone is functioning fine otherwise, you should be good to go. Additional support was added to prevent software rollback and NC5 is the most up to date software version released by the manufacturer.

If the software has not updated successfully, we need to get the device to respond. Disconnect from the USB. Simultaneously press and hold the Power button Volume up key Home key. Release the Power button when the Phone vibrates. Continue to hold the Volume Home key until the Android logo appears. From the Android system recovery screen, select "Wipe Cache Partition." Utilize the Volume Up/Down keys to highlight and the Power button to select. Once completed, select "Reboot System Now." Once you are back at the home screen reconnect to the USB and attempt to update again.

BrianP_VZW
Follow Us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Re: Re: Samsung Galaxy S4 update
MudBone827
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have been in a live chat session for the better part of the afternoon with customer support(session ID for the chat is:  >>removed<<) with no luck in resolving my issues. While I was doing one of the last things advised to do(that being to run the "Software Repair Assistant") I kept consistantly getting the following error message which is one of the issues I am getting since the KitKat update(Screenshot of error)VerizonUpdate4.jpg

The phone keeps dropping its connection, so, now my phone is useless since all I get on my phone now is an onscreen message saying(Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again.) and that message stays onscreen even if I remove the battery. My only resolve now is to schedule a date to be picked up and brought to the Verizon store since I am disabled and don't drive hoping they replace my phone it not even 30 days old yet. That new KitKat update has got to be the worst thing Verizon has ever done IMO.or

Edited by:  Verizon Moderator

Re: Re: Samsung Galaxy S4 update
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I understand how frustrating this can be MudBone827 and we definitely want to resolve it for you. Was there a different software uploaded to your phone before trying to upgrade to KitKat, meaning altering the official software? Did you try the steps provided before? If still having problems, try this http://vz.to/1ltfPeS

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport 

0 Likes
Re: Re: Re: Samsung Galaxy S4 update
MudBone827
Enthusiast - Level 3

No, just that HORRIBLE KitKat update(worst update in history IMO), but, I think things are now working right by doing what I was told by Technical Support wouldn't work, so, things are back to normal for now. Thanks for trying to assist.

Re: Re: Re: Samsung Galaxy S4 update
michellelovett67
Enthusiast - Level 1

esterday I installed the newest os update to my galaxy s4. When I plugged it in shortly after it got really hot and went into cool down mode. I unplugged it but within hours battery was back down and now will not charge unless I turn it off.  I'm using the factory supplied charger it came with.  I had this same issue with a previous update and had to buy a new phone.  Now the latest update ruined that one?!  Why doesn't Samsung test the updates before rolling out? Is there a fix for this widespread problem?  I'm not buying another phone!