Re: Samsung Galaxy S4 NG6 Upgrade Issues GPS/SD/Battery
RLmecca
Enthusiast - Level 2
0 Likes
EdFromOhio

If they openly discussed it, it could open them up to legal liabilities.  Unfortunately in our lawsuit happy society, the only way to quickly fix something is to release a fix with some quiet notations that it corrects some bugs.  Otherwise there's the whole class-action lawsuit garbage that comes about.

0 Likes
philhulett
Enthusiast - Level 2

May I add these issues to the pile?

1 - Random reboots, up to 4 per hour. Very annoying...happens during (important) calls, too.

2 - Incorrect Contact ID's appear on incoming calls

A Verizon technician suggested I take my phone to Best Buy and have them re-install the operating system and back up my data to Verizon Cloud (which I do not use). The technician went on to say that if the re-install does not work, Verizon would send me a new phone. Big hassle, but it's a solution.

If I may...this debacle is a great way to get a percentage of people to buy a new phone. For me, doing that is less of a hassle than going to Best Buy for the re-install. Way to go Verizon! Too bad I forgot to buy stock.

FuzzyDomain

Well, battery life is progressively getting worse.  I'm down to 17% and its only been 6hrs 16m on battery with light texting usage.  According the the battery details page Android OS is in use 48% of the time.

Android OS 48%

CPU Total 2h 3m

Stay Awake 1h 33m

Unfortunately it doesn't tell me any more.

Where is Verizon in all of this?  They only responded once to this post?

0 Likes
RLmecca
Enthusiast - Level 2

Fuzzy,

Odin Flash back to VZN STOCK NC5 Firmware is your best option. Did you see my last post i sent you?

0 Likes
anotherhaus
Enthusiast - Level 3

The problem is that this is an engineering problem and as customers we can only reach technical support. It's not a technical support issue. So all tech support knows is that people are complaining, and the reps are going through their usual suggestions - try safe mode, full data reset, wipe cache, etc - all of which I've done.

Incidentally I did a full data reset *before* taking the update and while my phone hasn't rebooted on its own since the NG6 update, the battery life is now measured in single-digit hours (been posting in another thread about that).

I had a Verizon rep ask me if I had water damage to the phone (no), which is further evidence that the only "arm" of Verizon support we can reach has no ability to help us with this issue because it's nothing they can solve. When my battery life is now abysmal after a fresh full data reset this morning and no apps installed, it's clear to me that this is something broken in the firmware. I'm living with it for now by keeping a spare battery charged all the time and swapping out every few hours when the battery dies, or turning off data sync whenever I remember to do so (assuming I'm not waiting for any emails).

I'm not confident there's any other solution here. I'm not wasting time bringing the device - which was working fine until the software update - into a store and having someone look at it and tell me it's fine, and I should reset, or do any number of things I've already done.

0 Likes
FuzzyDomain

I apologize, RLmecca, I did see your post.  I could try that as it doesn't seem too complicated but I'm wondering since I am out of contract and my phone was replaced by Asurion within the past year would they cover Verizon's software push issue?  I'm going to call them.

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

Magic was apropos. I've never EVER heard of a rollback in this sort of scenario... point me to one..., and looking at the issue, I highly doubt there's a fix that's going to "fix" your rebooting device, unless in the process you do an FDR. And I'm being serious.

I *THINK* tbo27 was being flippant. I also highly doubt hundreds of developers are on it, and definitely not around the clock.

0 Likes
vstjames
Contributor - Level 1

It's not likely to be a "new" phone they send you but most likely a refurbished one without the NG6 update. Of course, I could very well be wrong here and they might send you a brand new, never before used, phone. In that case, don't update to NG6 if it's still at NC5.

0 Likes
DeniseKNJ
Enthusiast - Level 1

I too am having MAJOR battery drainage! This ALL began after upgrading to the NG6 the other day! I had 100% battery at 6:00 am and by 2:00 pm I was alerted that I had 8%! I didn't even touch my phone that day! I went to the battery store, thinking my battery was dead. I walked in holding my phone. The man behind the counter said, "Samsung/Verizon?"  I was shocked! He pulled out a basket. In that basket, there must have been 75 Samsung batteries from "THIS WEEK ALONE!" I bought a new battery *sucker that I am* thinking that would help. Well.... I watched my battery drain in front of me. I used to be able to go ALL day and by the end of the night still have a 40% charge on my phone. That is UNTIL THIS "UPGRADE." This is not a coincidence! I have done EVERYTHING that has been mentioned above. I am NOT going to "reset" my phone. That is ridiculous. I ran it in "Safe Mode" and still watched my battery nose dive. I've been with Verizon for 17 years and I'm really frustrated. I have spent way too much time and energy trying to fix a phone that isn't broken. Please, please, please .. the problem is in the upgrade, I'm hoping a fix is quick to come.