Samsung Galaxy S4 Battery Drain since 12/09 Update
Halo_Four

I recently updated my Samsung Galaxy S4 to the latest firmware update offered by Verizon on 12/09/2014.  The name of that update is update_SCH-I545_NG6_to_NK1.  As of that update the phone has not been holding a charge.  Previously under normal use I could easily get two days before I would be required to charge.  Now the phone will barely go 6 hours before I get the warning that the battery is down to 10% and that the phone needs to be immediately charged.  I am running very little on this phone and during these times the Android Task Manager will generally display that nothing is running except for perhaps GMail.  The battery usage chart shows that the top three processes being Android OS (86%), Android System (4%) and Device idle (3%).  The battery use is so great that charging via USB can't even keep up and the battery will continue to run down.

Is Verizon aware of any issues caused by this update?  Can the update be reverted?

0 Likes
Re: Samsung Galaxy S4 Battery Drain since 12/09 Update
Halo_Four

So I've noticed quite a few other posts about the same issue, although a number of them seem to involve the previous NG6 update.  To note I can't say that I ever experienced this kind of battery drain or overheating issues with NG6.  My phone use is relatively light so I probably never stressed the battery that much.  However, the change since NK1 has been staggering.  I literally will sit the phone on my desk and within 5-6 hours the battery will be dead, despite the phone not running anything (no applications listed in Task Manager).  I will plug it into my computer via USB, which used to be able to charge it within an hour or so, and now the battery level continues to drop.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have two S4s, one work and one personal. I had absolutely no issues with the dreaded NG6 on either phone. When NK1 popped up I figured it was fixing issues for the poor phones affected by NG6. I updated without concern.

Now, my work phone (which gets very little use aside from a few voice calls a week) is fine but, my personal phone is experiencing battery drain twice as fast as before. I'm now doing a full charge twice a day. It also seems hotter to the touch randomly throughout the day.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Halo_Four,

Sorry to hear about your trouble with battery life. Let's see what we can do about that. For starters, disconnect from your charger, power the phone off and remove the battery http://vz.to/1uY8TpG . While you have it out, check to ensure that there is no swelling or cracking. Also check for signs of corrosion (like a white powedery substance either on the battery or the terminals in the phones that it connects too. If your battery appears to be in good condition reseat it in your phone and replace the cover.

Since there also seems to be a correlation with your last update lets address that as well. Downloaded applications may not be optimized for the new OS version and even though they may technically work, they may cause higher than normal battery drain until the application developers correct whatever issues arise. Having said that, go to the Google PLay Store app. Once the app is open press the menu button and touch My Apps. Make sure any updates are installed as they are likely updates available that will optimize those apps for use on the latest OS. Once that is completed, wipe the cache partition: http://vz.to/1sVy5NK .

Once you have completed that, go to Settings> My Device and make sure Power Saving Mode is On. Charge the phone completely and then use it as you normally would. Let us know if that brings you back to a reasonable battery life on the phone.

BrianP_VZW
Follow Us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
HdoubleODeezy
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've been experiencing extreme power drain on my S4 since the NK1 update also.
NEVER had a problem with NG6. I've tried everything I can think of.

I have checked the battery physically, no problems. (though I knew it wouldn't be that because the fast drain started the exact day I updated).

I have reset all my security settings to stock, didn't fix it. ( Tried that twice actually)

Scanned my phone for malware, viruses etc. None.

Deleted a lot of the older apps I had on the phone which I never used.

I installed a second RAM booster / Task killer.to try to help with it, and no help.
Even let it stay on until 0% battery life left and then let it re-charge back to 100% because I thought I had read somewhere that it would recalibrate the battery. Maybe it did but it didn't fix anything.

ONLY thing giving me enough battery life to even use the phone (nevermind go anywhere with it) is disabling a bunch of apps, those being-

Google Maps was draining it a lot even though I never use it, would delete it if it would let me.
ANT Radio Service

ANT+ Plugins

Blurb checkout

Calendar widget

Direct Share Manager

Dual Clock

Eraser (some app that has the same icon as Camera)

HP Print Service Plugin

Isis Wallet

S Memo

S Voice

Samsung Books

Samsung Print Service Plugin

Sensor Service

SNS

Story Album

Talk Back

Travel Wallpaper

& Trip Advisor

It is helping a bit like I said but still is draining badly because of the update.

I took my phone off the charger at 100% 1hr and 37min ago and I am down to 80% battery life.

Please come out with a fix update for this. I didn't know the reason the update came out was to fix problems people were having with NG6. I didn't have any at all with it.

Will continue to check for updates on my phone daily.
Just letting my story about this be seen also.

Thanks,
-T.J.

jjboyd

I actually am having the same problem.  I did a factory reset and reloaded everything ... it's still dead by lunch time when before,  i would come home from a 8 hour shift and still have about 35% battery life left.

0 Likes
jjboyd

I will say that before the nk1 update i only ever remember seeing something in the battery use called android system ... now there is " android system" AND "android OS" listed ...i don't know if it actually means anything but being that the 2 together take up 50% of my battery use, i thought I'd mention it.

0 Likes
matt151617

The battery drain is caused by Knox Notification Manager. The only way to stop it is to find it in the application manager and force it closed. It will restart on its own after a few hours however. The only way to remove it permanently is to root your phone.

0 Likes
HdoubleODeezy
Enthusiast - Level 2

I don't have Knox installed.
I have the app installer but never installed it.
So, after I read your response and seeing a lot of other issues with Knox I installed it to see if it would help battery life at all, seemed it did for a little while (weird). Than it returned to normal fast battery drain.
I uninstalled it. You DO NOT need to be rooted to get rid of it despite common consensus.
I'm not rooted and don't plan to be, nor install a custom ROM.
When Knox is installed enter "Knox mode" and go to Knox Settings.
Scroll to the bottom and find "About Knox".
Tap it and there are 3 options in it, one is UNINSTALL KNOX.
It will ask you if you would like to back up your Knox settings in case you decide to install it again.
I opted not to. Took 5-10sec to complete and bam back to where i was at. With Knox no longer there, only the installer like before I installed it.
I am almost convinced it is Maps that kills the battery more than anything even though I never use it.
Disabled only that.
(Forgot to mention that before I installed Knox I enabled all the apps I had disabled- those being in my long list a few posts up)

I have 11-15hrs avg battery life when using the phone trying to "fix" it ha. In idle im not sure how long it would last but whats the point of having a phone like this if your just going to let it idle in your pocket until you get a message or call?
It used to be a day or two idling or in use before NK1.
So there is still a problem.
Verizon please fix this.

I think the reason there is now Android System AND Android OS is for when we get Lollipop 5.0.
My reasoning thinking this is so that we/they (VZW) can work the kinks out before we get the Lollipop upgrade on our S4.
I could be wrong, I don't know.

-T.J.

0 Likes
bandclong
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have tried all of the fixes suggested on this post and many others (except restore to factory, which I understand is a waste of time) and STILL have ridiculous battery drain.  I think we all agree, the battery life on this phone was kick ass until the last update. . .I was going 2 days on a battery but after doing all the fixes on this thread, my battery went down from 100% to 94% in 1 hour, doing nothing but sending 1 text message.  As you can see from the photo, it is all from the Android OS.

Samsung 1 hr.jpg

Does anyone else out there think Verizon does this on purpose, on phones that are a model or 2 old so we will all be chomping at the bit to dump them and pay big bucks for the latest and greatest upgrades?  I am not due for a new phone until August so I am just supposed to limp along with this thing until then?

Shame on you, Verizon - this update came out on December 9th, where is our fix?  I am guessing we are all waiting for something that isn't coming.  I have been putting off switching carriers for YEARS because I have so many friends and family on Verizon but I think everyone else is just going to have to suck it up and I will have to switch to Sprint or AT & T and get their sweet unlimited deals for less money.