Samsung Galaxy S3 - a few app icon images disappeared!
VaidyS
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have been using a Samsung Galaxy S3 (16GB with 16GB SD card) since June 2013. It is running Android ver 4.4.2. A couple of months ago I moved most of the apps from the device storage to my (external) SD card. I then noticed that quite a few of the app icon images disappeared, i.e., the name remained but instead of the icon image, all I see is a small dark grey square with text "SD"! Obviously this sometimes makes it hard for me to locate some icons. Help!

Is it possible that my SD card is having errors? I have not had any issues with it so far.

0 Likes
Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 - a few app icon images disappeared!
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

VaidyS,

That's odd, but I certainly understand why this may be a concern for you. Is this happening with all apps? Have you tried removing the applications from your home screen and re-adding? Having touched on that, is this only happening with apps on your home screen (s) or when you launch all apps as well?

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport 

0 Likes
VaidyS
Enthusiast - Level 2

AdaS_VZW,

Thanks for your reply. Like I said originally, this has only happened for a few app icons, including on the home screen. Let me give you some examples:

- On my Home page, of 14 app icons, only 1 (gReader) is missing the image.

- In the next page to right, again of 14 app icons, onl 1 (Word Breaker) is missing the image.

- On another page, of 11 icons, the images are missing for Netflix, DoubleTake Offers, Skype & Futoshiki; 7 other icons are fine - Gallery, Spotify, Camera, etc.

Strangely, in the Apps pages, none of the icon images are missing - they are there!

Come to think of it, even on the home page, I have seen the images in the past (after I moved the apps to SD card), but there does not seem any clear reason for it.

Is there any key action sequence to refresh the images?

TY

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

VaidyS,

Thank you for the details. Can you please provide details of what happens if you try to drag the images of the missing icons from the Apps page to the home page. Does the image automatically disappear again? Have you tried removing and reinserting the SD card to see if the images reappear?

LindseyT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
VaidyS
Enthusiast - Level 2

TY LindseyT_VZW. I removed the apps which were missing the icon images and dragged/added them back from the Apps pages and the images seemed fine. However, as a test, I Restarted the phone and 4 or 5 images disappeared! After I clicked on one of them to open/run it, the images automatically reappeared. As of now, only 1 icon image is missing (FB Messenger). Sigh. A little disappointing but not a show stopper, of course.

I will attempt to remove & reinsert the SD card later this evening.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

VaidyS,

Thank you for testing. Let us know it the FB messenger application reappears after removing and reinserting the SIM card.

LindseyT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
VaidyS
Enthusiast - Level 2

LindseyT_VZW,

I removed & reinserted the SD card last night but the FB Messenger icon image did not automatically re-appear. Oddly, many other App icon images disappeared but were refreshed after a minute or 2, while I tried to launch one (which my phone first said it was not even installed!, but launched on my 2nd attempt). So, I did something I should have tried yesterday - deleted it and re-added from the Apps group. It now shows fine - all of them do now. I don't believe it is my SD card - it is a SanDisk microSD and I have never had any issues. I do plan on replacing it with maybe a 32GB card soon. Smiley Happy

Thanks for replying and working with me. I consider this issue resolved now.

0 Likes
deloused
Master - Level 3

I could be wrong 🙂 but I actually thought that might be normal for the software because I had a Motorola Droid that actually did the same thing.

0 Likes