Samsung Galaxy S3 Battery Dying Extremely Fast - After 4.3 Update
vibrant2001
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have been struggling with this same issue, have killed all unnecessary apps, cleared the cache, performed a factory reset and even tried a new battery, and still have an issue where after a full charge, my battery would drain to around 90% in less than 30 minutes.  Sometimes, even faster.

It seems that nobody has been able to nail down a solution, so I attempted to contact Samsung to see what their suggestions might be. 

The conversation I had with an agent basically sums up like this:

There's nothing they can do because they do not have reports of this issue and request that I send in my phone to be physically examined.

So, Samsung basically told me to send it in and see if they can do anything about it.  I don't have the insurance set up on my account, so I can't hold that in place, and I have no other way to get in touch with people and have a small child, so I can't exactly just mail off my phone for them to examine it.  So, basically, Samsung is avoiding the issue and we still have no true resolution. 

If anyone has any other ideas, fixes, things I can attempt without having to send my phone in for someone to "examine", it would be greatly appreciated.

Please note that I have deleted/uninstalled/cleared cache on many apps, finally completely reset the phone to factory settings and then tried a brand new battery, and the drainage is still extremely significant.

0 Likes
Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 Battery Dying Extremely Fast - After 4.3 Update
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

vibrant2001, we don't want this to be an ongoing struggle for you. After factory resetting your device, are you downloading the same applications that you had before? This may be a 3rd party application software issue. Try uninstalling a few applications and power your device off/on.

Is there any physical or liquid damage on your device? Have you had this device for more than a year? We're standing by for your response and to further assist you.

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

vibrant2001
Enthusiast - Level 2

After resetting my phone, I installed absolutely nothing for a couple of days just to see what happened, and the problem continued, so it didn't seem to be related to an app.

Also, no physical damage, no liquid damage.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Vibrant2001,

Thanks for the response back. I would like to see what is using up your battery so quick. With this link http://vz.to/NeAhl2 it will give you an idea of what is using most of the battery power. Could you provide me with some feed back from that please.

KevinR_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

mattyshore
Contributor - Level 1

I am still waiting for you Verizon people to tell me a fix that ACTUALLY works. My phone goes from 100% to 40% in 20 mins of use. I know the screen used to be able to go dimmer which helped with the battery DRAMATICALLY but now it is at the lowest brightness setting and still killing the battery. I have done all your fixes with ZERO working. I use an HTC charger for a Samsung phone since neither Verizon nor Samsung want to even help this issue.

<< Discussion of moderation removed. >>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

vibrant2001
Enthusiast - Level 2

Screen - 26%

Android System - 24%
Android OS - 15%
Cell Standby - 11%

Device Idle - 5%
Clock - 4%
Gmail - 3%

0 Likes
malsims
Enthusiast - Level 1

Verizon Customer Service,

Shame on you for providing anything other than an apology to your customers and releasing an immediate software rollback to the previous version (prior to v4.3).

I too purchased a brand new battery thinking that would resolve the problem, but obviously since I writing this post; the problem persists.  A fully charged battery drains in less than two hours; with no activity - sitting idle.

Please issue a rollback update until YOU, Verizon Wireless, resolve the issue.  You don't seem to miss an opportunity to try to sell us a product, call when a payment is late by a day or two, or increase revenue by passing on new fees and taxes to customers - why should this be any different.

Why can't the cell phone company with the best cellphone connection service, also offer the best customer service. Best product and best customer service should not be mutually exclusive.

mattyshore
Contributor - Level 1

That would me they have to do their job and hire people with intelligence.

0 Likes
vibrant2001
Enthusiast - Level 2

As a current employee in the customer service field, it's responses like this that make people not want to help you.

Being rude to someone that has the potential to fix your issue is extremely counter productive and will get you absolutely nowhere.

0 Likes
arnno
Enthusiast - Level 1

Simple fix. No. Seriously. I had this on mine and the fix worked like a charm.

I appologize in advance that I do not have screenshots, so I'll do my best to step by step describe this as best as possible.  The culprit is your e-mail app (not g-mail --- e-mail).  I don't know the specifics, but it has issues with syncing between Yahoo accounts and Google accounts and it supposedly causes the e-mail client on your phone to run CONSTANTLY to try to sync.  This will drain your battery like crazy. 

No. This process never shows up in the battery useage thingy that they had you check.  It is a background app process and won't show there.  Sorry VZ people, but your normal tech magic has no power here.  This is a known bug with Android 4.3.

You have to disable the sync, but this has the unintended effect of rendering your e-mail app useless since it will no longer get your e-mails for you, even if you manually sync it.  Just download the Yahoo Mail app and you'll be fine. (or whatever other e-mail service you're using).

From your In-Box, touch the menu button to the left of the home button.  The menu comes up with "Sort By", "View As", "Font Size", and "Settings"  -- Touch "Settings"

Under the settings menu, you should see "+Add Account" at the top and "Account Settings" with your e-mail address directly under that.  Go ahead and click that.  It should bring up another menu with your e-mail address and a green check mark beside it.  Touch your e-mail address to open its settings.

The top option is "Sync Settings" - that is the one that we want... click it.   You should see "Sync E-mail" at the top and below it, it will say "Master sync has been turned off" and there should be a green check in the box to the right.  Touch the green checkmark to fix the issue. The green check should be on and it should now say "Sync turned off."

You've now fixed the problem and disabled your e-mail app from sucking your battery.  Not sure why it sets up like that, but with the Master Sync turned off, your e-mail app will try endlessly to sync with the other services via master sync and it will never be able to.... so it keeps running and running and running.  Sucks.

Now that you're fixed, just get a service specific e-mail app and be happy with a phone that doesn't die in an hour!!!!

Keep in mind that you will still need to monitor things like Wifi being on when you're not connected to Wifi, GPS, and screen brightness.  Those will drain it quickly too.

I used to be able to unplug my phone @ 100% and litterally watch it drop without even unlocking it.  Now, I can use it casually/semi-hard all day at work and still go home with 40-50% of a battery.

Best of luck!

Adam