Re: Samsung GS3 Battery Drain after 4.3 update
SteffyH

I find it shocking that thee are 20+ pages of complaints and more with other specific issues since this upgrade and it doesn't seem to be moving Verizon any faster to help us. I am so mad at what has happened to my phone- I need it daily as a provider to look up meds, search doses, interaction checker, etc so I use my phone A LOT during the day. I shouldn't have to rely on bringing my charger to work to keep it plugged in to avoid a draining battery, much less to avoid this so I can call for help if I'm stuck on the road. Most of my apps, my clock, and screen sensitivity has been messed up since the patch and there wasn't even an email from the company to those of us w/ these phones to apologize and let us know you're working on it. This is a service we PAY for and want a solution. So get it together or give us all Galaxy S4s which is why you did the dumb update to begin with! It clearly wasn't compatible before yet you went for it anyway.

0 Likes
PassionNP
Enthusiast - Level 3

Steph

Getting a S4 won't solve it, the problem also is there with the same Android 4.3 update

I am going to post another post soon on how I resolved the battery drain issue

0 Likes
PassionNP
Enthusiast - Level 3

SOLVED : Battery Drain Issue with no help from Verizon/Samsung/Google

After searching around and examining battery apps and underlying services carefully, I now run Android 4.3 on my Galaxy S3 from Verizon and get very near the same battery time as I did on Android 4.1.2.

I am not having any WiFi issues, but I have noticed that some of my bars on my WiFi and on 4G LTE Data are lower than they were on 4.1.2.  This issue I have not yet resolved.

As many suspected, it is some poor code inside the software that is causing the problem.  Now to be fair, this time it doesn't seem the code provided by Verizon or Samsung.  The problem lies with Google themselves.

I found that the culprit is in Google Settings which is in your apps and has a gray button with G and a cog wheel on the right hand side.

Seems like this silly software is constantly using up your data plan to search for locations and any software that is reliant on it (for example Accuweather where it uses your location on GPS to tell weather).  So if you open up Google Settings and go choose Location and then disable access location, this will stop using up the battery.  I also disabled Google + as I do not use it, so wanted to avoid any silly google code associated with it.

After having it off for 2-3 days, I am now getting 7 to 8 battery under moderate use, which I also got when I was using Android 4.1.2.  I have added back my battery manager and it squeezes about another 1.5 hrs out of the machine.

The battery drain is now really slow, it looses around 2-4% per hour when doing nothing but just being left on.

So try it and let me and others know if it has worked for you.

I still believe Verizon should have tested it out and I do have a 2nd FCC complaint since the Verizon analyst who got the FCC complaint rather than resolve the problem, gave me all the wrong failed advice they give in these forums and then used the opportunity to try and upsell, fully knowing the S4 has the same problem saying I should upgrade. I told him I found his behavior disgusting and upgrading would not solve the problem and by the way I am happy with the S3 just don't want untested and bad software on it.  I had reported this to the FCC indicating that Verizon continued to be unhelpful and unwilling to help us out.

As a gesture Verizon should give us credits or wipe out data charges until this issue is resolved.

Apparently I heard that since Samsung have included their Knox software on Android 4.3 update any attempt to downgrade (unless you root) will leave your machine bricked.  I think again this is unethical software and if we can find proof, would like to report them to the FCC too. I hope Verizon still abides by FCC and allows us to unlock our phones should we decide to leave Verizon after this fiasco.

0 Likes
cjcoombes
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have to question this because after Verizon took me through a simple reset, the battery held at 96 percent for 24 hours.  Then is was suddenly dead.  I checked Google settings and Location and Google + and none of these apps were ever turned on.  In my case it appears to be something else.

0 Likes
PassionNP
Enthusiast - Level 3

Did you try location within google settings or location within settings? Theres a difference. The one I am having luck with is turning off "access location" within google settings. Turning off/on location in normal settings has no effect on the battery.

All I can say it is working on my phone and I am happier with battery life

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone

0 Likes
Dewey3k
Enthusiast - Level 3

PassionNP, this solution did slow down my battery drain a little but it is

not "the problem" with 4.3. Firstly, location access was turned on before

the update so it is not a change you can attribute to the update. Secondly,

if you turn off location access Google Maps can no longer tell where you

are. That means you cannot search locally or use navigation unless you turn

it back on.

PassionNP
Enthusiast - Level 3

I fully agree it is not an ideal solution.  I don’t use google maps because I have navigation in my car and I figured when I need it when I am walking, I will turn it on temporarily.

Whilst I agree it is not in any way an idea solution and again would wish Google/Verizon/Samsung to fix this, it at least is getting my phone back to normal levels of battery drain.

<< Personal information removed to comply with >>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

misterjim
Enthusiast - Level 3

Passion, just to be clear, Google provides the specs for the Android OS. Each manufacturer then codes to those specs for their particular device and for the requirements, where necessary, of each carrier. So unless people who own non-Samsung Android devices are reporting problems -- and I don't think that's the case -- this all falls in Samsung's lap. It's their code.

PassionNP
Enthusiast - Level 3

Understand and thank you for the clarification on the code.

From two people I know their LG and HTC ONE’s have been having Android 4.3 battery problems.

I just hope my suggestion helps some people. 

Sent from Windows Mail

>>Personal information removed to comply with the <<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

danno92770

Same issue here from 100% to 30% in less than 4 hours. This sucks might have to try an Apple product after all.....

0 Likes