Re: Samsug Galaxy S7 Rapid Battery Drain After April 2019 Software Update (G930VVRS9CSC1)
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

geoman56,

Software updates are intended to enhance your experience on your phone, not the opposite. We appreciate the troubleshooting you've already completed. Since software updates impact the environment in which all applications and functions on your phone work, they can cause increased battery usage in the days following an update. However, since you've tried troubleshooting with the phone in Safe Mode, clearing the cache and recalibrating the battery, we recommend backing up your phone's contents using Verizon Cloud or Google then performing a Factory Data Reset without restoring any applications, content or inserting any SD Cards into the device. A reset can be done using the steps shown on this link https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-203264/. After completing the reset and before reinstalling any information or applications, test the life of your battery. If you notice an improvement, reinstall your personal content and test again. If all is still well, begin to reinstall your applications one at a time, testing in between for any affects on the battery. Let us know what happens.

ShawnteJ_VZW

0 Likes
Re: Samsug Galaxy S7 Rapid Battery Drain After April 2019 Software Update (G930VVRS9CSC1)
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

NuthHouse,

I appreciate you trying Safe Mode as a troubleshooting step for the S7. We definitely want you to be able to count on your battery when not near a charger. Please allow me to explain that if you have issues after a software update, a factory data backup and reset resolves many issues. I would recommend giving this a try: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-203264/ Please let us know how it goes, thank you.

ChristinaB_VZW

0 Likes
Shel2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Since the April 2 update I too have expeienced exsessive battery drain.  I also have cleared the cache, done multiple restarts, let the battery completely discharge, etc.  Yesterday at 1 p.m. I put the phone in safe mode per suggestion here and the only thing I've done is to use the phone for about five texts and also use Settings>Device maintenance> Battery to check the battery status and see what was running.  By 6 a.m. , 17 hours later, the battery was at 13%.  Clearly normal usage would have exhausted it much before 6 a.m. The Android OS had used 65%, Android Sys 12%, Phone Idyl 2%, Screen 2%, Cell stand by 1%.

Is it true the only thing I can do now is to go back to factory defaults?  Won't there be a new software update that will fix the battery drain problem that seems to be affecting a number of us?

Thank you.

aaronjill143
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've had my phone in safe mode all day.

7:00 a.m.  92%

9:30 a.m. 66%

12:00 p.m. 41%

Checked battery usage. Have hardly used phone all day.Have hardly used phone all day.

bikenski

For the past week or so, I was having similar excessive battery drain on my S7 Edge.

Visible symptoms were that the cellular data never turned off even when connected to WiFi, and Google Play Services was shown as the top item draining the battery.

After numerous reboots, clearing cache & storage, and other typical troubleshooting steps, it turned out the latest update to the Verizon Message+ text messaging app was actually the culprit.  Downgrading it to the factory installed version returned everything to normal.

Not sure if that's the same thing causing all the other reports of battery drain all of a sudden, but worth a shot for others suffering similar symptoms.

0 Likes
jkorthas1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'd like to add my complaint to the long list of unhappy users after this specific update.  There is clearly an issue with the update itself. 

Mkezdi

Add my phone and my wife's phone to the same...and exceedingly long...list of this problem.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

aaronjill143,

We appreciate the screenshot you sent as it is very helpful with pinpointing the usage. I know how important it is for the software update to provide a functioning enhancement. We have lifted the issue up with our engineers and so far we have been advised to have you try a factory reset on your phone. This will allow the device to run without any of your current data on it to see if the issue still occurs with the battery drain. Please give this https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-205096/ a try and let us know your experience with the battery after the reset. We are always here to help.

CandiceH_VZW

0 Likes
NuthHouse
Enthusiast - Level 1

I tried Factory reset yesterday. with my battery fully charged today. I have used my phone normally for 8 hrs. I have only 42% left. Estimated usage time 15 hrs total. I still show Android OS using 30% of my battery, and Android System using 10%.

Are there any other suggestions?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Having a reliable battery is key to performing your daily, essential tasks while staying connected. I'd like to help address this issue. Have you completed a factory reset ? 

GinaU_VZW

0 Likes