SUPER FAST battery drain
JOSWAL58
Enthusiast - Level 2

About a week ago my phone got to about 40%; I'd just turned it back to normal mode after being in super battery saving mode (or whatever it's called). It then drained to 0% in about 1 minute. I could literally watch the numbers drop. I have had that happen three times since. There doesn't seem to be any particular circumstance when it happens. Just sudden dramatic battery drain. I've reset the cache and it's still doing it. Any ideas?

0 Likes
Re: SUPER FAST battery drain
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Under SETTINGS, there is a function that will give a general breakdown of power usage by process/app. Check and see what is listed in the top two or three positions.

JOSWAL58
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's the same one everyone else is reporting on - Android System shows up taking up a much larger portion than it should. See attached screenshot (I've got 2 more like it). Android System might take up to 30% at times.Battery drain 1.png

0 Likes
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

When you say you reset the cache was in it application or recovery mode?

kathy65793
Master - Level 1

That is a lot for the android system to be taken on any phone for only 12 hours.

Have you ever cleared the cache partition on the phone after you received an update?

Volume up-power-home. This will get you into recovery mode. Use the volume down button

to get to the clear cache partition. Once you clear it just reboot the phone. For your android

system on the phone to be working that much something is wrong.

It maybe because it didn't update right the last time you got one. If this does not work

I would try the repair asst and see if this helps.

Repair Assistant - Software Upgrade Assistant (Samsung) | Verizon Wireless

JOSWAL58
Enthusiast - Level 2

I cleared the cache by turning the phone off. Restarting holding volume up-power-home, then clearing it. Is that what you were referring to? When you just said "Volume up-power-home" I didn't know if you meant while the phone was on (which doesn't seem to do anything except take a screenshot) or while it was rebooting like I had already done.

I'll try the repair assistant. Thank you.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

It has been a while, but, I think those three buttons need to be pressed simultaneously when powering up in order to reach the menu that allows you to clear the cache. ☺

JOSWAL58
Enthusiast - Level 2

I installed the repair assistant and now it's crashing my mac. It's happened twice so far. When I connect my phone it goes to the black screen and reboots. I'm going to uninstall. Hopefully I haven't damaged my mac now. Grr. Any other ideas for my phone?

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

After getting the Mac back on track, I would backup any pictures and whatnot to the Cloud and do a factory default of the phone.

0 Likes
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

Sorry yes that is what I meant. Don't know if your computer will act the same way but did you try Smart Switch? It will do a complete backup of your phone and maybe able to fix it. Like dexman said a factory reset may help with the problem you are having. When you used the repair asst was the phone on or did you have it in download mode? Some people have been helped by Verizon's repair asst  others not so much. How ever you might try holding Volume Down-power-home at the same time and this will put the phone in the download mode. Sometimes this works better.either with smart switch or the repair asst. Each phone is different for what ever reason like when they put an update out. Some people have problems with their phones while others don't. I really hope whatever the problem is with your phone you get it to work the way it is supposed to. Another program that may help is called Kies it is also made for samsung phones like smart switch is. Good Luck let us know how you make out with this.

0 Likes