Re: SIII won't charge since KitKat update!
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for your efforts. We may need to replace your device. Have you contacted technical support about this issue? They can be reached at 800-922-0204.

ChaunceyM_VZW

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
ponygirl_22

I've seen this from a lot of sources as an issue from this latest update.  I can plug my phone into my car or a wall charger and have no problem, but I use the same usb cable that I've always used with this phone and connect it to my computer to charge and all I get is a red x. 

0 Likes
Lilybets
Enthusiast - Level 2

I took my third VZW ordered S3 to the VZW store yesterday after it died upon immediately after updating. They were going to give me an S3 from the store but wanted to be sure it worked before I left. They put my sim card in and started the activation it was working fine until about an hour later after the kit kat update was installed. Then it promptly shut down. It is not a charging issue. It is a software issue. I went through a total of 4 S3's including my original. The final solution they came up with was giving me the S4. I couldn't be happier. The S4 works well!

0 Likes
wischera

I assume you have a phone replacement warranty?   I wish I did, but didn't get it knowing the S5 would be out before to long.    Will verizon work with me without a warranty?

Alli Wischer

"I would be the most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves."

Anna Quindlen

0 Likes
Lilybets
Enthusiast - Level 2

By the way, we contacted tech support while I was at the store and they basically said tough cookies. Were no help. The guy told me my battery was bad and then said it was my charger. I was a telephone tech in the Marine Corps. I am not an idiot. I am an excellent trouble shooter and this is quite obviously a software issue. I wish the tech support people were more familiar with this issue. I also told the man on the phone about this forum and he said well of course people don't post when they don't have issues. The guy was a real ass and that was before I got angry with him. I told the guy on the phone, I've been with VZW for 16 1/2 years, I have had the same phone number for 16 1/2 years, you would think that would mean something. No accounting for customer loyalty. Thankfully VJ at my local store is a good manager that cares about his customers. It's people like him that have kept me with VZW for so long. The guy on the phone said well you are not due for an upgrade until March 2015 so all I can do is send out another S3 but you have to send back the two we already sent. Didn't seem to get the idea that it would not solve the problem. And that also would have meant that I'd be without a phone pretty much until Monday at least and then the "new" S3 would not have fixed the problem anyway. He said oh, there is nothing I can do and left it at that. You suppose I'd get a week off of the $247 I pay a month? I doubt it!

Lilybets
Enthusiast - Level 2

My local guy, VJ said he was not supposed to give me the S4 but he did. It does not affect my contract and was not counted against my insurance nor did it cost me anything. Unfortunately I think until this becomes a recognized software issue making our phones a paper weight swapping out with a different model will not be the general course of action. The only thing you can do for now I guess is prove it to your local store like I did and hope you have a good store manager that wants to help out their customers.

0 Likes
Sourkraut22
Enthusiast - Level 1

I also have been having this issue since upgrading to the new Kit Kat software a few days ago.  It's incredible to me that there are multiple threads about this issue yet the Verizon customer support responses are all generic and unwilling to recognize the impact this update caused.

I took my phone into Verizon and they actually admit that some of the newer updates for Kit Kat are causing problems for the Galaxy S3.  They also tell me there is no way to roll the software back to the previous version.  So naturally they are pushing an S4 or S5 sale on me, which was not my intention.

I find it nearly impossible that Android could roll out an update that causes the battery not to charge on the S3, without that being caught in the QA process.  I feel like they do this crap on purpose to force a phone upgrade.   Seems completely unethical. 

I know for a fact that Verizon also does testing before they roll out the updates to their customers.  This problem should have severe backlash on Android and/or Verizon and I will do my best to bring this issue to light.

I have posted this issue on my FB, on reddit and various other places of social media.  There needs to be some sort of reparation for this kind of mistake.  Especially when verizon is just trying to sell an new phone from the whole debacle.  THATS NOT AN ACCEPTABLE SOLUTION

Sean K.