Re: SGS7 - FIX the WI-FI problem VERIZON!!
Pbking316
Enthusiast - Level 3

The only wifi mine works on is comcast xfinity hotspots which require a comcast login. Others have reported using a vpn will let you use your home wifi. Something is wrong with these phones because every other device i have works fine on my wifi.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We definitely want to ensure your device is up and running, Andy63! May I ask what software / baseband version you're currently running on the device? ( Settings > About Phone )
YosefTT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the ?Correct Answer? button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
spdooley
Enthusiast - Level 2

Not that this will bring you any comfort, but my research is proving this to be a Samsung issue, which means it is affecting all carriers, not just Verizon.

If you are having connectivity issues only at home, I can only think of 3 things you could check.

1. - If you have 2.4G and 5G wfi enabled, they can NOT have the same SSID. This will cause connectivity issues as the phone will have a hard time switching from band to band.

2. - If you have multiple access points in your home, make sure they are all using the same security protocol. (such as WPA2-PSK. otherwise as you switch from AP to AP it will be trying to give the wrong security encryption.

3. - Assign your phone a static IP in the router. You will need to know your phone's MAC address, and then assign it an IP, either pick the top of the assignable IP range, or limit your assignable range, and then give it a low IP that is outside the range.

If it is truly a phone software issue as it seems, the 3rd option is most likely, though not guaranteed to help. Your phone might not be requesting new DHCP lease, which throws it into conflict with another device that has obtained the IP address that was originally assigned to your phone.

0 Likes
Pbking316
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm not andy63 but have the same issue with my s7 edge and my wifes s7.

baseband version G935VVRU2APB5 My wifes s7 is the same i think but its G930

0 Likes
Pbking316
Enthusiast - Level 3

My 2.4 and 5 ghz have different ssid's The phones connect to the wifi fine and will browse the internet but won't work with gmail youtube google play ect.... I have 10 other devices that work fine its not my wifi it doesn't work on any home wifi i tried

0 Likes
ScandalousFrog

So same issue here on both my Galaxy S7 Edge as well as my fiances S6 Edge (also Verizon).  Have the newest Wi-Fi stability update installed on both our phones.  Internet seems to work with everything but Google Apps.  Spent a long time on the phone today trying to get the issue fixed, although I have not tried with Verizon yet.

I spent the day trying to get this resolved first with Samsung via chat who had me go through a standard range of tests: reset modem/router, reset phone, clear caches, etc.  When that did not fix the issue I was given a ticket and told to talk to their next level of customer support.  After that, I called them and they asked me if I was having Wi-Fi issues beyond the Google apps.  When I said no, they told me to contact Google.

I then called Google, who walked me through the same steps.  They also had me try to fix the issue by disabling the Download Manager, clearing the cache, then disabled the Google play services, and removed my account, re-enabled, and readded the account... still no luck.  Was told since they exhausted all their options, they would patch me back to Samsung.  Waited roughly twenty minutes on hold, only to hear the transfer line pick up and immediately hang up... pretty awesome.

This is the last attempt I am going to make to hopefully get an answer on how to fix our phones.  I suppose this is a problem with having a company make the operating system, a different company make the phone, and another company distribute it.  At a loss.  Hopefully Verizon can help at this point.

0 Likes
Pbking316
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just spent a good amount of time figuring out how to set up a static ip for my s7 edge. It worked for about 5 seconds, loaded youtube then "lost connection to host" and nothing works again. I'm going to go ahead and set everything back up to the DHCP server in my router since a static IP does not help.

Why does it work if i drive to an xfinity hotspot?????????? But not any other wifi connection?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want to ensure this gets resolved. Have you contacted Samsung to see if they can offer additional information?
KleoLL_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the ?Correct Answer? button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
Pbking316
Enthusiast - Level 3

Also why is it only affecting google apps youtube gmail google play.... but other internet stuff works????

When it does start to load an app a little eventually i get an error code 495

0 Likes
who-me

I found two fix's for this problem.

First was downloading and using a app called DNSet.

Second was turning off IPv6 on the WAN & LAN side of my firewall.

(Firewall is OPNsence running on a dedicated mini computer)

I have set the phone to only use the 5Ghz WiFi band.

I just got notified of a update for my S7

I will post a update after the phone updates.

0 Likes