Re: S8+ screen cracked already without dropping the phone?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
molbio, Let's take a deeper look at this unusual screen situation. I can understand how odd it'd be to have this happen suddenly. We'd never want to lose you over this phone issue. Has this been inspected at a corporate store? http://spr.ly/658280WXn What kind of screen protection do you have on your phone?

JoelR_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
molbio
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am happy to try taking it in.  That was not suggested when I called.   I have a spigen case the same as I had on my S7 edge.   I have since this happened  found a number of posts on forums describing a similar scenario which I admit seems crazy.  It was to me when it happened.   Several have photos of a similar crack in the glass in the same location.  If I had done something to cause it I would be mad at myself and move on but as it occurred with no damage on a new phone with the bulk of the full price left to pay I am not happy. I realize an easier path forward might have been with the insurance and file a claim, but we haven't carried that since the only time we needed it on my wife's phone that the screen just didn't turn on anymore.   You could answer the phone if someone called and you swiped the right area.  The phone was out of warranty but we assumed the insurance would cover it.   No the screen was defective and the phone wasn't damaged so it wasn't covered.  Also no damage here,  unless they adopt the same policy as Samsung and I have a sneaking suspicion they don't.   I am not convinced it would be covered.   Anyway that was years ago now so I guess for the cost of covering two phones we have nearly saved the price of a phone but that's why we don't buy it anymore.

joelr_vzw
Verizon Employee

molbio, This has been an challenging situation for you with this surprising screen issue. Taking it to a corporate store will be a great way to get another set of eyes on it. I can understand your feedback about the insurance option, although personally it's great to have the peace of mind (I've had a broken screen and a lost/stolen phone). Let us know what happens after you go there. In the meantime, is there anything else that we can help with?

JoelR_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
molbio
Enthusiast - Level 2

I spent close to an hour at the store and still left with the same options. They did try to help.  At this point my only option is to send the phone to Samsung who reiterated it is up to the technician to determine if the phone is damaged or defective.   I would have to buy a phone just to be able to send it in since they claim it would be 9-11 days and then probably won't be covered.   I think there are a number of people here and elsewhere that have posted similar stories of the screen randomly cracking and Samsung does not seem to be acknowledge there is a problem.   I won't be buying any Samsung devices again.

ipsingh
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the exact same issue - the screen was simply in my pocket and when I took it out there was a crack on it.  Has anyone here had a successful resolution to this?  Taking it for a screen replacement is $300.

If no one has had a successful resolution, I'm happy to take the steps towards a lawsuit given the number of occurrences here and can share that information with others if they are interested.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

ipsingh, we always want to ensure that you have a properly working device that can live up to the expectations. At this time, we've investigated any known issues with the screen cracking on the Galaxy S8 and S8+ and there's no current listing that's been confirmed by Samsung. Can you tell us more about the cracked screen on your device? Is the crack on the outer glass or is internal? Are there any other signs of physical or liquid damage to the device?

SamanthaT_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
ipsingh
Enthusiast - Level 1

The phone was in my pocket and when I took it out it had a deep crack on the edge which spread across the screen (the surface is smooth so looks internal aside from the hole where the deep crack is).  There is no damage to the device other than this - it has been in a Spigen case the entire time.

I know Samsung has not admitted to this defect yet, hence the reason for impacted customers to take independent action.

Will Verizon assist as this is brand new S8.  Thank you.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Ipsingh, we understand how important it is to have a functioning device is cosmetic condition. We want to make sure you are aware of all of your options. As of right now we are unaware of any known issues for the Galaxy S8 screen. Have you contacted the manufacture regarding this concern (Samsung 888-987-4357)? Also, do you have insurance on your device so we are able to review your device replacement options? Please follow this link www.phoneclaim.com/verizon to view insurance details.

SylviaT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
molbio
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have had no luck.  The only option is to send it to Samsung but they said it's unlikely to be covered since they consider cracks to be damage and I would be without a phone for 9-11 days.    I see few viable options until Samsung will admit there is a problem and exchange phones.   I won't be buying any Samsung device after this and intend to switch from Verizon as soon as I have paid off more of the devices on the plan.  Verizon hasn't offered any options other than to call Samsung for me and come back with the same information. I didn't appreciate being sent to the store to wait for an hour and then be told by the manager they have no idea why the representative on the forums suggested I bring it in.  I don't want to think about how much I have paid over the years for my family plan and a good amount of data. So we'll be making some changes soon.

0 Likes
Dbeak
Contributor - Level 1

These manufactures know exactly what they are doing when they make these phones so fragile! Glass all around, curved edges and impossible to find a screen protector to fit! And because of this most of us are paying a fortune for insurance only to be given a refurbished device when a claim is made. (And don't even get me started on the retail price for these phones). I know a lot  of people disagree with me including my young adult children, but I"ll take the old galaxy models any day over these new designs. I had a galaxy s4 for four years and never had a problem. IMO Whatever material they used for those screens is the way to go. I try to tell my kids, a phone needs to be somewhat rugged. Granted they should not be abused, but lets face it, we put them in pockets, pocketbooks, briefcases and sometimes they accidentally get dropped, simple human error. Sorry needed to vent but I am just so tired of these phones becoming as high maintenance as cars.