S5's SD card constantly corrupting
mustardandpickles
Enthusiast - Level 2

In April 2016, I upgraded from a Galaxy S4 to an S5.  I didn't want to upgrade any further for fear of not having an SD card.  A few months ago (after being sick and tired of my phone's memory being full) I bought 2 SanDisk SD cards (both 64GB) from Amazon.  When I received them, I formatted one, put in in my phone and off I went.  I moved apps over, some photos etc.  It worked perfectly fine for a month or so before it said that it was corrupted. I looked online for help and learned how to run a test on it using the card reader and my laptop.  There was no reviving it so I reformatted it and returned it to Amazon for a replacement.

I have since put in the other 64GB SD card and it's been the same experience. Works great for a few days, then corrupts.  I have safely removed it, re-inserted it and then it works again for a few days.  Then it'll corrupt again. This has happened many, many times over the last several weeks.

Is it something I am doing wrong? Is it the phone? I am so sick of not having room on my phone to download new apps, store photos etc. Luckily, my photos instantly upload to 2 different clouds so I have not lost photos but this is a huge annoyance!!!

Can someone please help?  Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: S5's SD card constantly corrupting
mustardandpickles
Enthusiast - Level 2

Wanted to come back and reply. I purchased a recommended Samsung Pro Class 10, 64GB, U3 microsd card and my phone has been working perfectly for nearly a week now.

I have unmounted, mounted, taken battery out, restarted and completely powered down with this card with absolutely no problems. I'm guessing it was an incompatibility issue with the SanDisk card.

Thanks for your input.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

If both cards came from the same place and same batch, I'd guess it's the SD card. They can, in my experience, easily become an issue. If you purchased that card through Amazon, and had the same issue with the other, I imagine they will allow you to return that one as well.

I haven't looked into an SD card for my S5, but something I learned when looking for an SD card for my Dashcam, some devices reject certain cards. While SanDisk is popular, I'd do a bit of research about various card brands and what has and hasn't worked.

0 Likes
mustardandpickles
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have doubts that it's the SD cards but I am certainly not ruling it out. I had the 2 cards that I received from Amazon for about a month before I actually used them.  By the time I tried them both it had been some time. By the time I had sent it back and received a replacement it had been 6 weeks or so. 

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

The only thing I can think to try is to boot up the device in Safe Mode with the SD card in and see what comes up.

Can you provide a link to the SD card you purchased?

0 Likes
mustardandpickles
Enthusiast - Level 2

These are the ones I purchased.

I am not sure I know how to reboot in Safe Mode.  Would you be so kind to provide me with instructions or a link?

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3
0 Likes
mustardandpickles
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you. I went ahead and did that last night and it seemed to start working correctly.  The SD showed up normally, all my pics and apps that are stored on my SD card reappeared etc.  Then a while later, I looked down at my phone and it was all back to saying 'corrupted'.  I then took my battery out and restarted it and it's been working perfectly since then.

This morning I noticed I did not have any email notifications and thought that was odd. Now out of nowhere my Yahoo Mail accounts via my app have all disappeared. SD issue seems ok for the moment but would my Yahoo Mail app have any effect on my SD card?

UGH!

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

I don't think it would allow you to, but have you put the Yahoo Mail app on the SD card?

I'm going to look at this as 2 different problems, in which case I'd make sure the Yahoo Mail app is up to date, clear cache on the phone; settings>storage>cached data>delete, delete the e-mail account from the app and then add it back, uninstall the app and reinstall the app.

Obviously stop after one of them works and restart your device afterwards.

0 Likes
mustardandpickles
Enthusiast - Level 2

You're right about the Yahoo App. No go on the SD card.

Also tried your suggestions...cleared the cache, deleted my email account(s) from the app, re-added it, uninstalled and reinstalled. Tried taking the battery out as well as powering down. Nothing is helping.

My battery completely died yesterday so after I recharged it, I powered it back on and poof...there went the sd card again. Saying corrupt.

I also happened to think that the other card I received from Amazon I put in my point and shoot camera for my sister to take to Hawaii a couple weeks ago. NO PROBLEMS. 

I have a feeling it's something with my phone itself.  Super irritating.

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

It could be, but it could be a compatibility issue with the SD card. Most SD card issues you Google are about card issues. I haven't actually viewed what card was appropriate for the S5 when it was released some...3+ years ago, but worth looking into.

There was a software update in the last year (if I remember correctly) did you factory reset your phone before or after?

0 Likes