S5 microSD won't format or read.
a_baker
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have 2 MicroSD cards that read/write and format fine in my tab3 tablet or my mom's elipsis 8, but will not read or format in my galaxy S5.

Both are HC. One is a class 2 Samsung 16 gb card out of a galaxy S phone, and the second is a class 4 kingston 32 gb card out of my old HTC thunderbolt.

When either are inserted into the S5, they display an Unsupported SD card notification

Specifically "This device doesn't support this SD card. Touch to set up in a supported format."

When I do so, an option is displayed to format as portable storage, and a warning that all data will be lost. I'm okay with that, so I hit format.

It starts at 20% which immediately set off my something is wrong feeling, and then it craps out, with an android message: "Command '7 volume partition disk:179,64 public failed with '400 7 Command failed' "

By my reckoning, it failed to create the public directory and crapped out. But this only happens with the s5.

I don't have additional MicroSD cards to test this with. Is this something I could bring in to a verizon store to get fixed?

0 Likes
Re: S5 microSD won't format or read.
bearone21
Legend

replace it

0 Likes
a_baker
Enthusiast - Level 3

Even though it reads, writes, and formats fine in other devices?

0 Likes
a_baker
Enthusiast - Level 3

Went to best buy, bought a Samsung 32gb MicroSD class 10. Same error. It's not the cards.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

sorry the card didn't fix the problem.

0 Likes
a_baker
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yeah, the salesperson Elvira at the 67 N. Broadway store in chula vista told me to go home and call 611.

I got a very helpful associate named Michael, who had me install the tech coach app. He then walked me through a factory reset, which did not solve the problem, so he had a replacement pbone shipped to my home, which got here at 1 PM. Good news, the sd cards I have work in the replacement phone, and the replacement phone came with a screen protector already applied!

I usually avoid calling companies because of horrible experiences with microsoft, but the turnaround time on this problem was amazing. Now I just have to figure out where to drop off the old phone.

0 Likes