S5 Lollipop rear camera won't macro focus (close up) after update!!
S5user100

Has anyone else gotten the update and noticed that your macro focus is terrible now??  I use my phone to scan receipts and I can't even take pictures of those or a full document anymore the focus is so bad.  I hope someone addresses this in an update quick!!!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: S5 Lollipop rear camera won't macro focus (close up) after update!!
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

S5User100, yes.  I just updated this morning, and after reading your post I tried taking photos of some paperwork on my desk.  It seems to focus fine, after playing with it a little bit, getting a focus from a distance, then moving closer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Saw this suggestion elsewhere:  Might or might not have to do with the update, but does seem software related.

Open the camera app. Then tap the gear icon at the top of the screen to bring up the settings of the app. You will now see various tiles with options. One of them is called "selective focus". The selective focus is responsible that the focus does not focus sharply during macro shooting. Therefore disable selective focus by typing on the tile.

Seems too simple, but sometimes simple works.

0 Likes
S5user100

Are you on lollipop now? Thanks for the suggestion but this has not fixed the issue, I have tried this already and was not able to get a better focus.  Possibly related note: image stabilization appears to be gone (video stabilization is present - but I am not shooting video).  I read that they have now integrated image stabilization with low lighting mode, I have toggled that on/off and did not get better results. 

I read that some users in other countries were experiencing faster focusing, but maybe this concept is effecting quality of focus.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

I admit that I do not own an S5, own an LG G2 with OiS and have had macro focus issues before, still do at times.  I know that different versions of 5.0, that being the inner workings of it, is different from country to country or carrier to carrier.  I know this seems like something that should be a universal issue or fix though.  Did you by any chance happen to factory reset after the major update?  I know I will be waiting a while to update my G2 once it rolls out and will follow threads here regarding the same before I do so.  Also, keep in mind that 5.0 will have bugs that 5.1 or 5.2 and the incremental updates will hopefully address.  Being a first adopter of upgrades is a risk sometimes.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try getting the focus from a distance of about a foot away, then bring the camera closer and it should auto-focus on the text.  I found that trying to get close to text (4-6") didn't work unless I got a focus from father away first, then moved in.

I can get pretty clear macro shots with the S5.  Screenshot of my settings:

Screenshot_2015-02-03-09-56-41.png

0 Likes
S5user100

Is this after you upgraded to lollipop?

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

S5User100, yes.  I just updated this morning, and after reading your post I tried taking photos of some paperwork on my desk.  It seems to focus fine, after playing with it a little bit, getting a focus from a distance, then moving closer.

0 Likes
S5user100

FIXED the issue fixed itself after a day or so, not sure if maybe something got behind the glass.  It may be as SuzyQ said that focus far away and then closer in.  I tried this before and was still having the same issue.  I pulled my phone out to show someone how annoying it was and it was focusing perfectly, how embarrassing haha.

Thanks to everyone!

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Smiley Happy  Glad it's now working for you!

0 Likes