S4 won't read memory card after 4.3 update
morelia

I am beyond frustrated with Verizon and Samsung.  Shortly after the 4.3 update I began having memory card errors "memory card unexpectedly removed" or "memory card removed insert new one".  At first it would intermittently read the card, kind of hit and miss between "errors".  I tried saving, reformatting, new memory card, factory reset, and have even went as far as replacing the phone. 

The problem remains and the phone worked fine before the 4.3 update.  Verizon won't do anything about it.  Samsung doesn't want to do anything about it.  The phone was fine before the flipping update.

Now, to make things even worse, my computer no longer recognized the memory card.  I looked this up and sure enough, lots of other users are reporting that the S4 with 4.3 has made the memory card unreadable.  Now I'm out a 32GB class 10 memory card.

If someone has some real help beyond the basics please share.  Otherwise I'm going to return this phone again under warranty and I'll keep doing it until Verizon decides to do something about it.

Thanks,

Brian

0 Likes
Re: S4 won't read memory card after 4.3 update
tdphatak

I just got an S4 last week at work.  It will not read a Transcend 8gb card (which was working in my bberry) or a class 10 Samsung 64gb card.  The phone recognizes when I REMOVE the card but with the card in the option to "mount" is GRAYED OUT.  Can those who are successfully using an SD card in an S4 running Android 4.3 please comment on the card type please?  I was considering starting a poll for this too.  Thanks.

PS  Good luck Brian!

0 Likes
Not applicable

For some reason, don't know why, but since I had this problem and fixed it...

Use a Sandisk card.    I mentioned this problem to a Samsung rep. and was asked was I using a Sandisk, or another brand,   I was using a PNY.

After installing a Sandisk, no more problems.

0 Likes
morelia

Lizdance,

I am using a Sandisk card (32gb class 10)...  All I can say is that I'm glad it is working for you, but I wouldn't hold your breath.  It worked fine in both of my S4's for a week or two at the most after the 4.3 upgrade then I started getting the errors. 

If you do get errors I would recommend pulling the card right away otherwise you may corrupt the card rendering it useless.  That it what happened to mine.  I left it in for about a week and was getting spurious "card not installed" or "card unexpectedly removed" errors and now I can't even read the card in my computer, and external SD reader, or in my tablet computer.

0 Likes