Re: S4 won't charge after 4.3 update
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Dear Schtefan,

Thanks for trying the hard reset. I understand how frustrating it is to have a malfunctioning phone. Before we can replace your phone, can you please verify if there is any physical or water damage to your phone? If not, please follow us and send us a direct message with your mobile number. We look forward to hearing from you.

Thank You,
MichelleL_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSUPPORT

0 Likes
schtefan
Contributor - Level 1

1.  This is a 6 month old phone

2.  No water damage

3.  No physical damage

4.  Damage caused by Verizon 4.3 update

What else do you need?

0 Likes
schtefan
Contributor - Level 1

I don't have twitter..what happened to a good old phone call? Oh wait..I have a broken phone that I am paying 160 per month.  Don't worry ..I am adding up all the time wasted ..even this message is being calculated. 

0 Likes
awoodprod

I have found that if  I plug in a charger that doesn't work, it will after re-starting the phone.  Leave the charger plugged in during the re-boot and it should recognize the charger at that point.  A bit of a pain yes, but a short term fix until they create a patch to work out this problem.

0 Likes
jmpdx

I can top that. I've had 2 phones die, both within a few days after updating. Like dhp58, it happened overnight while charging. The first one was extremely hot and would not power on. The second was not hot and had a solid green LED but would not power on.

I now have my 3rd phone in just over a month! They were going to overnight a replacement battery but it never arrived, supposedly it will be here tomorrow. But after reading these comments, and those elsewhere I think the battery is probably ok. I can't keep being without my phone.

Fortunately the replacement has 4.2.2 but I get prompted to update constantly. I suppose I'll have to live with the nags because there is no way I'm installing 4.3 on this phone. I only got the S4 new just over a month ago and I'd like to, you know, actually use it!

AT&T and US Cellular have both pulled the update per Samsung's request who has also pulled the update. Yet Verizon has not. And really, what is up with the constant prompts to upgrade? We get it, there is an update.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

schtefan, we still do things the old fashion way. Have you tried contacting our technical support team at 800-922-0204 from an alternate phone? We will need to speak with you in order to process an order for a warranty replacement device. We're standing by for your call.

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
RetCDR
Enthusiast - Level 1

Had the same issue with car charging after the update.  Charges fine at home and will charge in the car after I remove the battery.  I took the phone into the verizon store and they ordered me a new one when they duplicated the problem.  Got the new one and loaded all the updates and the phone again would not charge with the verizon supplied charger.  Took it into the store and they ordered me another new phone and replaced the battery and the charging cord.  Just now am reading the boards because there is no way this is hardware.  Good to see that as I suspected it was the software.  Someone needs to inform the store staff and someone needs to fix this.  For those of us that run our businesses with these phones, this is unsat!!!!

0 Likes
ncamhi
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is a confirmed issue with Samsung Galaxy 2, 3, and 4 with the latest 4.3 Android OS for verizon.  This is what I was told by Verizon level 2 support.   I have multiple charges and the only one that works is the original one that came with the phone.

I had Verizon send me another phone with older OS but decided not to use it as living with one charge for a while is easier then transferring to another phone.

I was told 2 weeks for update to OS.

All should call tech support and write on message boards so it gets more priority.

Verizon blames it on Samsung.

0 Likes
RetCDR
Enthusiast - Level 1

I did confirm that the phone will charge via the USB port on the verizon supplied charger.  My second new/reconditioned phone is arriving today.  I am not happy that I sent in a perfectly new phone and it was replaced by a reconditioned phone just because the store personnel were not familiar with the issue that had been widely reported weeks before.

KellyArens
Contributor - Level 3

OK so now I know that I am not nuts...so here is what happened with mine.  After the update I noticed that the phone would not charge on the car charger.  The wall charger has continued to work fine.  It was as if the phone no longer recognized the charger.  One day I restarted the phone while it was connected to the car charger and it worked.  Phone was charging.  Now I admit that restarting my phone every time I want to charge in the car is a real pain, it beats starting over with a new phone.  Hopefully there will be a fix to this soon.

0 Likes